Chapter 5

Hey guys. Thanks for deciding to stick around for another chapter. I really hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Stay awesome guys :)

**********

Before I knew it, the week had gone by as quickly as a wisp in the wind.

I had spent all seven days job-hunting, and the hours were spent alternating between making phone calls, visiting job offices and groaning pathetically in the shower each night when none of my attempts proved successful.

It was definitely a trying time, and the fact that my mother had already begun to drop less than subtle hints about me needing to help out with the bills hadn't helped the situation much either.

Another cause for concern was the fact that neither I nor the others had heard from Lucy or Dave in the past week. Any calls we had made were not answered, and we had all grown worried and frustrated. We had intended to meet up and pay a visit to Lucy's apartment, but that plan was eradicated when we became too caught up in our own job-seeking affairs.

It was now Friday, and I decided to take a break from job-hunting and just relax for the day. I went into the kitchen and prepared a breakfast before rooting myself on the couch in front of the television. Luckily for me, Mom was out shopping that day and I had the entire house to myself.

A few hours later, I was fast asleep with an empty tub of strawberry ice cream resting on my stomach, and my spoon slowly slipping from my limp fingers. The soothing silence in the house was suddenly broken and the telephone rang loudly and obnoxiously.

I jolted awake quickly, my heart hammering inside my chest. The empty ice cream tub rolled from my stomach onto the carpet, and I kicked it aside and trudged tiredly across the room towards the phone.

"Hello?" I answered sleepily, holding the receiver to my ear.

"Elizabeth," The voice on the other end responded, and I recognized it to be Lucy's.

"Lucy? Oh my god, I haven't heard from you in days! I was so worried. I get that you were mad but you could've at least called-"

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. And I wasn't mad." There was a brief pause, then a sigh. "The truth is I was embarrassed about what went down the other night. I shouldn't have stormed off. I'm sure I made things very difficult for you guys and I'm sorry. I just... ugh. I couldn't stand it..."

"I understand. I know what being around Dave for too long does to you. But it's fine really. We weren't mad, just really worried. We haven't heard from Dave either you know."

"Yeah, well I don't know where he could be." she answered, sounding slightly annoyed. "He's got way too many issues and I'm just sick and tired of him taking out his anger on everyone else. It's always been like that. Ever since we were kids, he-" She stopped abruptly, and her last statement caused my eyes to widen and I became fully awake.

"Wait a minute. Lucy, you just said, 'When we were kids.' Does that mean you knew him-"

"Nevermind! It doesn't matter. That's not what I called you for anyway." She sounded very flustered and afraid.

"Fine. I'll drop the subject, but just for now. Anyway, what else did you want to talk about?"

"Right. Well, I figured that for this past week you've probably been looking for a new job, right?"

"Right."

"Well, I'm going to take a guess and say you haven't found one yet."

"You'd be a hundred percent correct on that one." I said glumly.