Chapter 4

Demi's P.O.V

Her voice was beautiful and shook slightly when I noticed her tearing up, a few tears sliding down her cheeks, making my heart begin to break slightly for her. She finishes strongly, smiling at the standing ovation before turning to the audience, “That song is dedicated to my parents and my brother. Now, I am going to sing a song that I wrote called, ‘Guardian Angel’.” We watch her get a black guitar and a stool while Kevin moves the mic in front over her, glancing at her with concern before walking off stage. She plays a few chords for the intro and then her sweet voice echoes the room.

            It was so beautiful; the song had a lot of meaning and I could see that she worked hard on it. I watch her take a bow after everyone clapped then run of stage while Kevin went on to tell more jokes. I notice Raven hand her guitar to some guy before running to the women’s restroom. I frown. What if she is going to hurt herself? She better not be. Raven’s too special for that crap and I don’t want her going through what I went through. Dallas glances at me also worried. I excuse myself and walk to the bathroom, trying not to draw attention to myself. I open the bathroom door and close it making her jump. I see her holding her wrist and I frown.

            “Don’t worry, Demi. I’m clean. I have been for a year now. I’m not going to break my record now”, Raven whispers when she caught me looking. I relax slightly then walk up to her and take her hands in mine. I turn her arms over so I can see the inside of her hands and wrists. I smile at the tattoos that looked like my ‘Stay Strong’ tattoos on my own wrists. I see words on both her forearms that are both in different languages and a little symbol next to a word on her right forearm. Then, I notice faint scars on her arms and some weird mark on one of them. I frown and look up at her, “Why did you do this to yourself, Raven?” She looks me in the eyes and I see a hint of confusion and something that I couldn’t depict. “Why do you want me to tell you when I barely know you? Actually, that’s a lie, but I mean that I don’t actually know you personally. How do I know that I can trust you?” Raven asks, looking away. I lift her chin up gently, forcing her to look me in the eye, “I understand, but I want to get to know you as well. When you’re ready will you tell me?” She nods, smiling at me, making my heart melt. I hug her close, not wanting to let go.

            We leave the bathroom and we talk about her singing and she told me that she’s a Lovatic and that she was wearing a Demi shirt earlier, making me laugh. We make our way back to my table and I go to sit down at my seat. Dallas grins at Raven, “So, happy birthday. Why didn’t you say anything about that earlier?” Raven shrugs, looking away, “I don’t really like putting myself on the spotlight. I only went on stage so Kevin would stop bothering me.” Dallas smirks, “Can you get your friend to take a break from telling jokes and introduce us?” Raven looks at her, amused and I frown, slightly jealous when she signals for Kevin to come here. “Sup, Ray? Who are these people?” Kevin asks, his eyes widening when he sees me. Raven smiles, “Well, this is obviously the one and only Demi Lovato and her family. Guys, this is my best friend Kevin. We’ve known each other practically our whole lives.” Dallas looks at him flirtatiously, “Are you going out with anyone?” Kevin glances at Raven, who looks like she is about to start laughing. “Um… actually I am”, he says, scratching the back of his neck.

            “Are you two going out?” Dallas asks, wide eyed. Raven and Kevin burst out laughing while we all stare at them confused and a few customers gave them strange looks. “Kevin, why don’t you tell them about your boyfriend”, Raven says, emphasizing ‘boyfriend’. Dallas’s jaw drops and Kevin smirks, “Yeah. I’m gay and proud of it. Sorry to burst your bubble.” Dallas blushes, “Is everyone turning gay and forgot to tell me?” I glare at her and the jealousy that I felt left me feeling hope. Dianna and Eddie clearly look amused and Maddie giggles silently. Kevin and Raven look at each other, Raven looked scared or is that just me? “Um, I have to go to the kitchen. Would you like dessert?” Raven asks, her voice wavering. I glance at her to see her fiddling with a cute gold feather ring.