Part 26

Boss, Miss Amrita is eligible to avail the scholarship the New York School of Pastry Arts is offering on our company's behalf. She has been accepted, though it's not official yet, this is confidential news." Manish ran over to Arjun's cabin.

Arjun's face remained stoic.

"I offered them the scholarship on our company's behalf, though the funding will be transferred from your personal account."

"Fine. You can leave now. You worked hard," Arjun replied, his expressions unchanged.

"Mahi's wedding card just came in with the post," Amrita's mother informed her.

"Okay mom," Amrita replied.

"Are you doing fine Amrita?" her mother asked.

"Yes don't worry."

She was not fine. She had dreams about Arjun walking away from her, every night, and she could not reach him. She was filled with a feeling of unrequited love and anger every day she woke up in the morning. The feeling stayed with her all day, every day.

She picked up her phone to call him every day but would put it down thinking about spending her whole life with a man who loved himself much more than he ever could love her. One who would undermine her dreams and discourage her for his own convenience.

She had a capacity to love like that, loving someone with all that she had. A selfless love. She knew it and still harboured hope to be loved like that in return.

She knew, just one phone call, one word from Arjun and she would forget all her insecurities and all his weakness and rush to him. Maybe she had already fallen in that sort of love, or was not far from falling, deep and unconditional, where hence there was no turning back. She had not even heard his side in the midst of the incident involving Trisha. She had been so worked up and afraid of getting her heart broken. She had been too mean to him, she was afraid.

A month and a half passed.

Amrita had given up hope of studying at the New York School of Pastry Arts. She had tried to draw a bigger education loan, but her efforts had borne no fruit. She applied to a domestic school in the city of New Delhi, the same which Arjun had suggested. The place was not very far from Arjun's office.

It was two weeks before Amrita's cousin Mahi's wedding ceremony. Amrita was sunken into melancholy, not a mood suited to wedding celebrations. She had read so much about the pastry school in New York, had wanted to learn more, with a passion, for a long time now. What was worse was that she knew she would've been admitted if she had been able to pay in full or had gotten a scholarship. She had submitted a power point presentation, video essay and written essays, outlining her journey of starting a successful bakery from the scratch. She highlighted her blog she posted her creations on, her website, the awards she had won over time in competitions, and the reviews of her specialities.

Amrita was in Delhi. The air was not nearly as fresh as in her hometown. It was hot and humid. She was sweating. She followed the owner of the paying guest house through a room and then through a small mess. The living conditions were not bad and it was not costly. They would have to do. Amrita booked a room in the paying guest house, for all through the next nine months. It was not more than three kilometres far from the university she had enrolled in. It was a good university, though it did not compare to the ones she had dreamt of. Amrita was not thrilled about the whole situation but she managed to keep a hopeful state of mind. Once the actual course started, she knew she would love it. She would make the best of it since, if she wanted to be what she thought was being successful, she could do that with these conditions.