Part 6

Sunlight was straining to stream in through the partially clouded sky, as Arjun expertly drove the car onwards the twisting road.

"What work do you have in Krishi?" Amrita questioned Arjun from the front seat, beside him.

"We are thinking about exploring that area and developing a tourism project there," he answered.

Amrita added, "I have heard it is a village, maybe your project will help boost jobs there."

Arjun raised his eyebrows pleasantly surprised, his eyes not leaving the road for a second, "That is the main idea. It will develop the area and bring in tourism for a resort we are planning to set up there. But it's top secret at the moment." He gave Amrita a sincere smile. Amrita gave him one in return.

He had freshly shaven and his dark black hair were still a little wet from his morning bath; he had a strong well-defined jawline which gave his otherwise carefree eyes a sincere look. Amrita was admiring the view when suddenly Mohit exclaimed from the rear seat, "Damn! My iPod has run out of battery. Amrita switch on the radio."

Arjun took the initiative and put on a channel playing the news. Mohit said, "Arjun, no one wants to hear the news while on a holiday! Amrita change the channel, he is so dull; he has no idea how to relax."

Amrita gave a chuckle hearing the two friends banter. Arjun broke into a grin as well and said, "Well, why don't you drive Mohit? Lazy oaf lying down giving orders from the back seat. Amrita please pass the remote to this monkey."

Mohit gave a dramatic exclamation not unlike his sister, "Arjun referring to Ms Amrita as 'Amrita please' and Mohit is the lazy oaf monkey? This is what you get after fifteen years of loyal friendship."

Seeing Mohit's performance, Amrita broke into a laughter. "Mohit, you and Mahi should have been twins," she said handing over the car's stereo remote to him.

They drove on, the weather was turning colder by the minute. Soon Amrita fell into a peaceful slumber to the smooth driving and the melodious music. It was noon by the time they stopped for tea and refreshments by the road. There were a few small stalls and makeshift open restaurants on the valley side. Three cars were already parked along the stalls on the widened road.

Amrita was still fast asleep. Arjun turned to Mohit, "Dude, wake her up. She must be hungry." Mohit called her name but Amrita was lost too deep in dreams. He looked over to Arjun and shrugged, "Let her sleep man." He then got out of the car, stretched his legs and proceeded towards a stall. Arjun kept sitting in the car. He called Amrita's name, "Amrita... would you like to eat something?"

Amrita was having a very pleasant dream. Someone with dark, wet hair and dark brown eyes was holding her and calling out her name in a deep voice. She was smiling. The voice that called her name became louder and louder till she felt a hand on her shoulder wake her up. She looked up to find a familiar face, looking down at her, with half a smile.

It took her a while to realise she had woken up. Then, Arjun said, "I am sorry I disturbed your nap, it seemed you were having a wonderful dream, but I really think you should eat something. I don't know if we will get anything to eat there immediately. You will get hungry."

Amrita replied, "Don't say sorry, thanks for waking me up. I really am hungry."

Suddenly a loud rumbling sound was heard; it was her stomach agreeing with her words. She pressed her stomach and looked down in embarrassment. Arjun gave a hearty laugh and said, "That was nothing, mine makes much louder noises when it's empty." Amrita looked up and laughed along with him.

The two of them got out of the car and sat at the open eating stall which was more of a cemented cliff overlooking the huge valley. Mohit came over, surprised that Amrita was up. He went to order three plates of noodles and tea and toast.

Amrita sighed looking at the view. She turned to address Arjun, only to find him already looking at her. He turned his gaze towards the valley all of a sudden and said, "Beautiful isn't it? I am really happy we all decided to come along on this trip."

Amrita exclaimed, "That is what I was going to say! About the view, not about being happy for the trip. No, I mean I am of course happy I came, I had to come anyway... I uh..." She trailed on.

Arjun chuckled and said, "You are funny."

Amrita got a little offended, "I am funny in what way?" she asked.

Arjun gave her his half smile, leaned towards her, and said, "Whatever way it is, I like it very much."

Amrita blushed furiously, she looked down unable to control her smile. She recovered after about a minute and tried to make small talk. She asked Arjun causally, "How did you know I was having a pleasant dream back in the car?"

Arjun replied, "Well, you were smiling a lot."

They finished the steaming hot noodles and drank the tea with butter-toast. It had become cloudy and looked like it was going to rain. It was one o'clock by the time they reached the village of Krishi.