Part 9

The snow had started falling heavily. Amrita regretted not borrowing an umbrella from Mrs Pawan. They rushed through the rapidly thickening layer of snow on the slopes towards the cottage. Amrita slipped on the snow and suddenly fell to the ground. She was freezing and her teeth chattered from the cold. She lost all energy to get up.

"Are you okay? Get up Amrita." Arjun bent down by her side. He helped her get up and took her to the cottage. Both gave a sigh of relief as the cottage door came within sight. There was half a foot of snow piled up in front of it. They unlocked the door and pushed it open. Amrita shut the door while Arjun rushed in to kindle a fire. Both of them took off their jackets. Arjun went into the kitchen to get them a cup of hot coffee, while Amrita curled up into a ball of ice, wanting to be thawed in front of the fire.

Arjun came into the living room with the coffee. He called out her name but she would not get up. "Amrita, I've got coffee for you. Get up." He went closer and shook her by the arm. When she still did not respond, Arjun panicked. He checked her pulse which was feeble, her skin was cold as ice and her lips were blue.

Arjun rushed to the bedroom and got some blankets and a towel. He gently lifted her up and settled her right in front of the fire. He took off her wet shoes, socks and cap and sweater and wrapped her in a blanket. He held her close to himself to give her warmth. After a few minutes, Amrita started stirring. Relief coursed through Arjun's body.

"Wha... What happened?" Amrita whispered.

"You fainted from the cold, but don't worry you are fine now."

Amrita saw the blankets and her damp sweater lying beside them. Arjun still had his arms around her shoulders trying to make her feel better. She said, embarrassed, "I am so sorry, I just thought I'd rest for a while in front of the fire, I don't know when I passed out."

Arjun removed his arms from around her, surprisingly making Amrita feel disappointed. He flicked away a lock of hair from in front of her eye, and said, "Stop saying sorry, the cold really got to you. We should have taken out more clothes from the car before we went to the bakery."

"About that," Amrita said as Arjun took over their cups of coffee to the kitchen to warm again. He was back in a jiffy. He sat down on the thick cushiony carpet by her side, handing her a cup of coffee. "Yes about that what?" He smiled, unnerving Amrita. She looked towards the fire, momentarily forgetting what she had to say. She took a blanket lying beside her and passed it to him. He nodded gratefully, "Thanks."

Amrita said, "Why do you want to buy that bakery and manage the legalities and all that work when I am to be the one running it? I don't want to sound ungrateful but this is just too big a favour. I would rather take a loan and hire some people to work here. I don't want to bother you."

Arjun was listening to her quietly. The sun had gone down and the fire was the only thing making the little room glow with its light.

Arjun responded, "You don't want to work with me?"

"Work with you? I don't have any problem working with you but why are you even interested in giving so much of your time and money to the little bakery anyway? You have a hotel and a whole little tourist town planned here," Amrita answered.

Arjun looked at her with something intense in his eyes and said, "Why do you think I have so much interest in the bakery?" His deep voice was laced with meaning.

Amrita felt confused, what does he mean? Why can't he be straightforward? Does he like me? Nah! That is ridiculous, why would he? Amrita, don't start getting your head stuck in this useless fight now. Don't start liking him like the fool you are. What is wrong with me? She questioned herself.

Amrita just nonchalantly shrugged at Arjun's question as if a war was not going on right then between her heart and her head. Arjun cleared his throat and took a sip of his coffee, "You don't find such sensational chocolate pastries very easily in the world, and now that I have found it, I am not going to let it go."

Amrita's heart did a flip and butterflies started flying in her stomach. He is referring to the chocolate pastry and the bakery, not to me. Amrita tried to calm herself down. "Hmm... ya, it will be a good addition to your project," she said trying to sound light and unaffected. Arjun collected himself and answered, "Yeah, moreover, I think preserving the bakery will be beneficial to my project." He concluded with confidence, seeming indifferent.

They talked for what seemed like minutes but was two hours, waiting for the return of their friends. Amrita asked him while washing their cups of coffee, "How much longer do you think it will be before Mohit and Mr Patel come back with a taxi?" Arjun sat on the kitchen counter, eating biscuits. "The snow is piled up really high outside. I don't see how they can make it up till here until it clears up."

Amrita put her hands on her waist, "How can you be so calm about it? We can't stay here that long. We need to make arrangements to get out of here!" Arjun finished eating the biscuits, "What do you suggest we do? There is no cell reception here, no phone facility. There is no way any of us is going to go out in that weather without turning into an icicle. There is no point in not being calm." Amrita admired his coolness.

Arjun got off the counter and tried to comfort her, "Don't worry Amrita, there is plenty of food and wood. Mohit knows we are here, he is going to send help as soon as he can. I am sure it will clear off until morning."

Amrita relaxed somewhat hearing his calming voice amid the storm going on in her head. She was trying hard to keep her head one step ahead of her heart where Arjun was concerned, but it was getting harder by the minute. Now, Mother Nature seemed to have sided with her heart by making her spend so much time with him.

Arjun was kind-hearted, and his presence calmed her and made her peaceful. He was quick to take up responsibility and she felt safe with him. He also was a little arrogant, but she liked it although she would never admit it and damn she could not stop looking at him. Amrita knew she was falling for him but she could not let herself fall for someone who did not reciprocate her feelings equally. Not again.