Part 8

Dammit!" Arjun exclaimed as he tried starting the car. "What's the matter Arjun?" asked Mohit.

"I think the engine is frozen. The car won't start," Arjun replied still trying to make it work.

Amrita looked at Arjun with worry etched in her features. Arjun reassured her saying they would find a way to get out of there and not to worry.

Mr Patel intervened suggesting them to arrange a taxi to get out of Krishi. It was decided that since it was still a few hours before it got dark, Mr Patel and Mohit would go to the post office on a spare two-wheeler so that Mohit could make a phone call to the hotel to fetch them all a taxi. By that time Arjun and Amrita would go up the hill by foot, Arjun to inspect the property and Amrita to visit the bakery. And thus, they all would save time.

The four of them split up. Mr Patel and Mohit rode off into the sunset, while Arjun and Amrita started their trek up the snowy mountain road.

After about a kilometre or so, they reached the top of Krishi hill. The view was breath-taking. They stood beside each other admiring the snow-covered mountains in the distance at peace with the earth, just like their hearts, at peace in that stilled moment. Arjun turned slightly to look at Amrita, whose nose had turned red. He pulled her black, woollen cap lower with his frozen fingers to properly cover her ears. Amrita was taken aback by his sudden gesture and turned pink.

Arjun looked at her shyly and uttered quickly, "You look pretty."

"What did you say?" Amrita asked him. She could not believe, seemingly arrogant Arjun who had as of yet only smirked at her, was actually looking shy! It was an endearing sight and she suspected also a very rare one.

Arjun turned his back and said, "Umm... nothing. We should find out which of these shops is the bakery, c'mon." He dragged Amrita pulling her jacket covered arm like it was a suitcase with wheels. Amrita felt secretly thrilled seeing this shy and awkward side of Arjun. It was kind of attractive she thought.

A little shop with a small banner with faded words read Choco Bakery. Amrita opened the door, entering the shop with Arjun, causing a delicate tinkling of bells to sound. The sound was heard by a little old lady bent by a tiny fireside trying unsuccessfully to start a fire, causing her to turn towards rarely expected customers.

As she turned around, she put on her glasses and peered towards the door. "Yehes?" She croaked out, then burst into a hacking cough. Amrita and Arjun looked at each other, talking with their eyes. The lady looked ready to fall down stiff by the cold. The shop was freezing. Arjun rushed towards the lady helping her settle on the small couch. Her little body slumped on the couch with her face hanging down, her body racked with cough.

Amrita came over to her side and with her knees on the floor at level with the old lady, she put a hand on the lady's shoulder and said, "Are you okay, can I get you some water?"

After a minute of resting on the couch, the lady looked up at Amrita's face and asked in a barely audible voice, "Who are you child?"

"My name is Amrita and this is Arjun. We are here to meet you. You came to my bakery shop in Doon a year ago and brought the best chocolate pastry I have ever had," Amrita answered in one go.

"Hand me some water," the old lady requested.

Arjun rushed to the counter and got her a water bottle and glass. She was shivering and again started coughing violently. Arjun helped her drink the water which calmed her down. Arjun went over to the fireplace and started the fire in the mantle. The old lady finally settled after long, with Amrita and Arjun settled around her like two kids waiting for a story, on their knees.