Part 15

It was the day after Arjun had left her house in the evening that his phone rang with a call from home.

"Arjun, I heard you went to meet Amrita at her house! Why didn't you tell us?" asked his mother.

"Maa, it was just related to work, nothing else," he replied.

"Come home and then we'll talk!" His mother said hanging up.

At night Arjun was sitting with his parents in their room. His father proceeded to open the conversation, "Son, we had a courtesy call from Amrita's parents about the fact that you stayed over at their house without any plans the day before. Do you realise how awkward our position was when we realised it was new information for us? We had to act like we knew you were visiting their place."

Arjun sat listening, not reacting. His mother took over from his father, "What is going on Arjun? It couldn't be work related we are sure. Tell us frankly. Do you want to marry her?"

He replied, "If you are going to ask that directly, then I will give my answer in a similar fashion. Yes, yes I do, I want to marry her."

His mother exclaimed! "Why didn't you tell us sooner! We are so excited!"

He sighed, "I don't want to keep her from her dreams in order to marry me. I don't want anything from her side to be forced, just because it seems like a good match to her parents or mine."

"Well, you are being absolutely ridiculous!" His mother exclaimed.

"I am going to talk to her parents tomorrow and we will fix up everything. Don't create unnecessary complications Arjun."

Arjun's mind wanted to stop his mother, but all his heart wanted was to marry Amrita and fast.

Mrs Sarika's and her husband were having their evening tea when the highly anticipated phone call came.

"Hello Mrs Sarika, this is Mrs Singhal, Arjun's mother. My husband and I have something very important to discuss with you."

The very next day Amrita was sitting in the drawing room, lost and somewhat dazed. She was surrounded by her family on one side and by Arjun's on the other.

Arjun felt guilty due to the fact that Amrita had not given any answer after the confession he had made. He had waited for two days and now he was sitting here with his family, ready to make her his by hook or crook. He had always believed he was a good man, but now he was questioning his assumption.

Amrita's father talked first, "I believe we know the premise of your very pleasant visit. Let me express, my wife and I are both in agreement with your wishes. We believe you are a very nice family and there is nothing more we want for our child."

Amrita felt an excited bubble swelling inside her, which was followed by a string that pulled her back and burst the bubble. Things were changing. She still wanted to go to her dream university. She had to expand her business and mass produce her bakery's cookies. She was fine right now and steadily moving towards what she wanted. She was her own master. She didn't want anyone to break her flow and hold her back. She looked towards her parents, agitated, then towards Arjun. They locked eyes and she felt a familiar longing within. This longing was to be the death of her. Drowning her and destroying her.

Why should she trust this man? Why should she accept him? Questions were racing through her head.

Arjun's mother spoke up, "This is wonderful! We are all in agreement then. I believe the kids should have a proper talk about the matter as well. Kids exchange your phone numbers."