I went to go stick the receipt up on the side of the fridge wall, when I realized it had a number written on the back of it. I guess he was flirting. I shrugged my shoulders, and decided I would call him later when I was less busy.

I called the girls over to eat, and we chatted amongst each other as we did so. They told me stories about their classes, their lives, and their terrible landlord, and I listened.

When we finished eating, Maddie suggested we should drive over to school and get a good look at the walls of the hall we intended to fill up with art. I thought it was a great idea, so we did just that.

--

We all took one car. It was barely 6:00pm, so we had time to spare. There was no need to rush.

We all walked through the main foyer together, just admiring how aesthetically pleasing it was, as usual. We decided the elevator would be a better choice to go to the higher level. But as the elevator doors opened, I was greeted by a familiar face. Mr. Styles.

He was wearing a burgundy dress shirt with the cuffs rolled up, and black dress pants. It was different than what he wore this afternoon. Possibly because I got makeup all over his other shirt.

"Hello, Miss Dwyer, and..." He paused. Miss dwyer? He's never called me that.

"Sorry ladies I don't believe we've met." He said as he looked over my shoulder to my friends.

"Oh, Mr. Styles, these are the girls helping us out with the decorating process. Maddie, Bella, and Alice" I said.

"Nice to meet you girls. I'm Mr. Styles, Visual arts teacher at the Institute of Fine Arts. I'm glad you girls have taken on this opportunity. The more people the better." He said with a smile. I smiled politely as well because I didn't know what else to say.

"Miss. Dwyer, can I speak to you privately in regards to the project? Just for a moment." He said deeply. My friends obliged and left us alone.

"Yessum, that's fine. Guys, i'll meet you up there shortly." I said, and my friends were off.

Mr. Styles pulled me over to the side, behind the doors of the clear, glass-wall elevator.

"I can't really talk right now because I have to be somewhere. Can I give you my number so communication is easier? I never read my emails anyways." Mr. Styles said. He wrote down his number on a post-it and handed it to me.

"See you Alaska. Take care." he said as he walked out the main doors. I was left in silence with the exception of the echo of my boots, clinking on the marble floor. I snapped back to reality and stepped into the elevator to go up.

Did Mr. Styles just give me his number?

Yes he did, Alaska. But for the project purposes only. Don't be immature.

--

"What was that all about lass?" Bella winked as she spoke. Her tone was playful.

"Oh he just wanted to uh-"

Quick, Alaska. Think of a good lie.

"He was just making sure you guys were good students so he was asking me things in regards to your academic abilities and so on. No biggie." I scratched my arm as I spoke. Not making eye contact whatsoever.

"Gotcha. For a second I thought he pulled you to the side to tell you how great you looked." Bella joked. But I wasn't laughing. I was pale.

She must have caught on to my discomfort, because she cleared her throat and clarified herself.

"Oh lass, you know I'm kidding. He's your teacher not your love interest. He's like.. thirty? And married. I think. So all we are doing is joking around to lighten the mood. you seem so stiff, we just want to make you laugh, not make you uncomfortable. Okay?" There was no rudeness in Bella's tone of voice. I smiled back at her, and gave her a hug.

"I know, bels. Sorry for being such a party pooper. I have a lot of things on my plate right now." I pulled away, and responded with a smile.

"But, for the record, he's pretty attractive." I admitted to them. And to myself.

"There it is!" Alice playfully punched my shoulder. We broke out into childish brouhaha and it echoed through the vast halls of the school. Admitting it to myself is one step in the wrong direction. But at least I'm taking steps at all.

After a good amount spent looking around, we decided it was best we should all go our ways. I drove my friends back to my apartment, they gathered their things, we said our goodbyes and they were on their way. My thoughts were magnified in the silence, so to shut them
up, I thought I should call the number on the receipt.

The phone rang for a few seconds before he picked up. I recognized the voice.

"Hello?" He said.

"Hi... It's Alaska. The girl you delivered pizza to today." I said.

"Oh, I've been waiting for you to call for hours." He said. I looked at the clock. It read 9:30 pm.

"I'm Derrick." He said again.

"Hi Derrick, I'm sorry about that." I bit my lip as I spoke.

"Oh, don't apologize. At least you remembered to call." He said. "I left my number because I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me?" He asked confidently.

A date? Like a real date?

"Oh! Yea, that would be great." I said. I was relieved he wasn't upset I didn't call him
sooner.

"Good. Tomorrow night at Scaddabush. Meet me there at 7:00pm?" He asked.

I said yes eagerly, because I haven't been asked out on a date since sophomore year of high school. Embarrassing, I know. So this was a big deal for me. I was flattered.

"Great, I'm looking forward to it. See you then Alaska." And with that, he hung up.

I had the most stupid smile on my face. Not necessarily because of the guy himself, but just the idea of going out with someone for dinner made me feel liked I was cared about.

I got ready for bed with a big grin on my face.

I just got asked out

Played in my head over and over and over until my eyes were shut and I was fast asleep.