{Chapter 8}

"Our people-and especially little Inari-were robbed of the very meaning of courage...because of what happened that day." Tazuna continued.

Everyone was shocked a moment, and Kakashi inquired, "'What happened'? What was it? What could have changed Inari so much?"

Tazuna took his glasses off and wiped his eyes as he started, "Let me start from the beginning...and tell you about the man who our entire land called a champion and a hero."

Naruto looked at the old man and questioned, "'Champion'...?"

Tazuna looked downward as he said, "It was about three years ago...that Inari and the man first met."

"Here, Poochie!!" Inari called, even as he was being held by two boys about his age as another held his dog.

The boy responded, "Not any more! Starting now, his name is Shooting Star...and he belongs to me!!"

Inari shouted, "He's not a shooting star!! That's my Poochie!! Give him back!! Poochie's my friend! You can't have him!!"

The boy yelled back, "Shut up--!!" He paused a moment, before grinning and tossing the dog into the water.

"Poochie~!!"

The boy still had a grin on his face, "It's what you get for not handing him over when I ordered. Who cares about a dumb dog, anyway?"

"You can't just drown my dog!" Inari shouted, crying now.

"Well, if the puppy means so much to you...better go save him!!"

"But..."

"Well, what are you waiting for? Are you going to let him just die?!!"

Inari paused, standing at the edge of the dock. What the other boys didn't know...he couldn't swim.

"Hey!! If you own him, why aren't you diving in?" The boy teased before kicking Inari off the dock.

One boy spoke up, "This ain't right, Akane. What if he can't swim?"

Inari was sputtering, struggling in the water as he shouted, "H-Help! Help me!"

Akane told the other boy, "Aw, just leave him!"

The boy objected, "B-...But..."

"Or do you want to be the next one performing a little pet rescue?" Akane threatened.

"But, I digress..." Tazuna said, "Necessity, and the nearness of his own death finally taught Poochie how to dog paddle..."

The dog made it to shore, shaking the water from its fur. "What~!!" Akane shouted, surprised. "Shooting Star's getting away. Go after him!!!"

"Poochie--!!" Inari shouted, still struggling even as he was sinking down, further and further.

His eyes opened, meeting the harsh sun.

"Are you awake, son?" He heard a man ask, and he sat up aburptly.

The man held fish over a campfire with sticks as he turned to look at Inari with a smile, "I really let those punks who were picking on you have it good. Here, eat!"

Inari wasn't sure at first, still thinking he was dead, but asked, "Did you...rescue me, mister?!

"...You've had a pretty rough time of it,  haven't you?! ...Even your dog let you down. Where I come from, dogs are loyal. You can count on them, but...well, I guess, since you let him down first, we really shouldn't be too hard on him."