{Chapter 7}

“Michiko…Michiko, wake up…”

I groaned softly and opened my eyes to find myself looking into a pair of gray ones. I immediately shot up from my lying position underneath one of the trees. “Akio-sensei!” I exclaimed, my relief obvious. I then looked around the forest, and was puzzled to see no one else was with us. I blinked, and asked him slowly, “Where’s Raiden…and Hideaki?”

He appeared like he wanted to say something, but then he paused and wouldn’t look at me directly. Dread began to take over my body. “Where are they?” I repeated, the tone in my voice becoming quickly concerned.

When I didn’t receive an answer for the second time, I assumed the worst. “T-they’re dead?” I asked him, although I already knew that from his demeanor. Tears pricked in the corners of my eyes at the realization they were gone, forever.

I was surprised when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my body, and I returned the embrace as Akio stated in a soft, cracking voice, “I’m sorry…I failed to protect them…I failed to protect you.”

His grip loosened suddenly, and I looked worriedly at him as he explained, “I’ve…used too much chakra fighting the ninja off…” He moved so he was sitting next to me. “I was…too late…to save them. But…I had enough time to save you.”

I studied him carefully, finally noticing the multiple scratches and scars on his face and body. His eyes were glazed over with guilt, sorrow, and regret. His hands and clothes were bloodied. I tentatively cupped his cheek with my hand and his gaze met mine. Somehow I knew what would happen next. He wouldn’t be able to make the journey back to the village. He would end up killing himself if he tried.

“Don’t…don’t be sorry. Don’t you dare blame yourself for their deaths.” I told him, a slightly harsh tone in my voice because he was trying to take all the responsibility for it. He wasn’t the one to land the final blow. He shouldn’t act like he did.

He half-smiled, but it was more like a sad, melancholy one. His hand enveloped mine, and we just stayed like that until I felt his grip loosen, and as I glanced up at him, his eyes slipped shut. The eternal sleep had claimed him.

The tears that had dared to fall finally did, and I let out a sorrowful, grief-stricken sob that echoed throughout the area.

I woke with a start, my heart pounding hard in my chest. Instead of gazing into gray eyes this time, I was looking into one black eye. I glanced around, noticing we were somehow back at Tazuna’s house. I was lying in the same sleeping bag as before with a wet cloth on my forehead, and Kakashi was half-leaning over me.

I was speechless, still in shock from having to relive that horrible memory.

I barely noticed as he removed the cloth, and used the back of his hand against my forehead to check my temperature. Apparently, I must’ve had a fever as well.

“Kakashi-sensei?” I questioned softly, peering up at him. “Hm?” He responded.

“W-what happened back there?”

He paused, gazing down at me before answering, “You must have exhausted yourself more than I thought.”

I studied him, and then said, “I don’t believe you…”

He didn’t respond to that statement, but diverted the subject by saying, “You should rest.”

I wanted answers, I wanted him to explain this to me, but apparently, I wasn’t going to get that any time soon.

He stood up and left the room before I could say anything. I sighed in frustration. Why couldn't he just tell me? I pinched the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger, and relunctantly agreed with him. I crossed my arms over my stomach, my hand tracing over my healing wound briefly. The wound from the fight between Kakashi and Zabuza that I dragged myself into. I wouldn't be surprised if it left a scar.

I closed my eyes, and rested for a while...until I heard Tazuna exclaim from the other room something like, "Boy, this is real fun! I can't remember the last time I shared a meal with so many people!!"

I crawled out of the sleeping bag, and walked over to the dining room, noting that they were all eating. I didn't bother with a hello or anything as I sat next to Sakura at the end of the table, between her and Naruto. I was about to grab myself a bowl and some soup, before noticing Sasuke and Naruto were stuffing their faces and after they both said at the same time, "More, please!" and hurling up what they just ate, I quickly lost my appetite.

Sakura stood, her hands on the table as she shouted at them, "Stop eating if you're just gonna hurl it back up!"

Sasuke responded, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, "...No, I wanna eat!"

A smile was on Naruto's face as he said, "Because even if we make ourselves sick to do it, we have to eat if we want to get strong!"

Well, I admired their determination, but throwing up wasn't exactly going to get them stronger...

Eventually, the meal was over, and Sakura walked over to a picture hanging on the wall of Tazuna, Inari, and Tsunami. "Um...why is this picture torn?" She asked before looking back at everyone, "Little Inari was looking at this the whole time we were having dinner." Inari looked shocked as she continued, "Someone's face is completely gone. Is that deliberate?"

She didn't receive an answer for a moment until Tsunami spoke, "...It was a picture of Inari's father."

Tazuna continued with, "...Once upon a time, if you will...our entire city called him a hero."

After this was said, Inari aburptly got up from the table and started walking out. "Inari! ...where are you going?" Tsunami questioned, but the only reply she got was Inari slamming the door behind him. "Inari!" She turned towards Tazuna and shouted, "Father! I've told you time and time again not to mention that in front of my son!!" Then she left, slamming the door as well.

Sakura waited before asking, "...So...you're talking about what it is that makes Inari act so strangely...?"

Kakashi spoke up, which sort of surprised me because he hadn't talked during the whole meal, "It sounds like there's a story there..."

"...The man in the picture was not Inari's birth father...but they were as loving and close as any biological father and son could have been. Inari was such a happy, laughing child back then..." Tazuna actually started to sob, and Naruto, Kakashi, and myself were a bit surprised. Tazuna continued, "...But Inari changed...after what happened to his father."