Chapter 59

Dr. Al Ghaffari smiled his eyes levelled with Salman's, "We finally have progress, Salman. This is the first stage of recovery from coma. She isn't fully conscious yet but now her reflexes are working as we speak to her."

For a brief second, Salman closed his eyes and sighed in relief. There were too many questions swarming in his head. His eyelids lifted and apprehension was clearly shining in them, "How can she fully be conscious now?"

The doctor shrugged, "Maybe a few hours, few days or a couple of weeks. We really don't know. But what you can do and others who are close to her, talk to her. Make her respond to you even if it is  just her arm or leg movement only. You need to remember she will not always respond there are few hours in a day where she will be semi-conscious to be able to respond."

Salman curtly nodded, he thought out loud his worst fear, "What about amnesia? Do you fear she may have any kind of memory loss when she is fully conscious?"

"We don't know yet. Let's take step by step in her recovery. She is a strong young woman. Inshaa Allah she will recover faster than what our assumptions are."

"I hope so doctor. I really hope so Inshaa Allah," he whispered as he clasped the doctor's hand for a firm handshake, "Thank you once again for all your help."

The doctor walked away and Salman sauntered in Nawal's hospital ICU room. On the bed, she lay still like a statue. Beautiful as a porcelain doll. His hand found hers. Frozen fingers like icicles. He kissed the fingertips, lightly blowing on them to warm her.

"Nawal can you hear me?" his lips moved against her fingers.

There was no reaction.

His eyes scanning her arms, legs, feet and face. Hoping to detect any sign of a response from her. But there was none.

"Nawal..." for the first time in his life he said an endearment, "Please love," he swallowed hard, "I am here waiting for you to come back to me."

Perhaps, he would have to wait longer before she responds to him.

"I will always be here for you. Our baby is waiting for me. I will be back tomorrow morning Inshaa Allah. Allah hafiz," Slowly his hold on her fingers slackened. Gently, he placed her hand on the bed and stood up to leave to attend his baby girl at home.

He never noticed the slight flicker of her eyelashes.

****

It was Friday evening and Daud was impatiently waiting for his son and Susan to arrive any minute. They were late. His eyes drifted back to the wall clock every five minutes. The house was too quiet. He missed the liveliness his son brought to the house.

There was a little improvement where his physiotherapy session had also started. He was now able to walk with the help of a crutch. It was excruciating to even drag himself from the bedroom to the living room. He never gave up. Even now, he was settled on a living room sofa, his right hand fingers tapping just above his knee.

Chloe was baking chocolate chip cookies and the aroma had filled the house. Daud sniffed, his eyes closed lost in memories of his childhood how his mother used to bake him all sorts of desserts especially during holidays.

"It's a long time since you baked cookies Mom," Daud called out to Chloe who was in the kitchen.

Chloe strolled out of the kitchen in her floral apron over her pants and shirt, she grinned, "They are for my grandson."

"He likes cookies?" his eyes slightly widened.

"He loves them. I try to bake him whenever I can," she hesitated few second then said, "I am so happy to see how Yousef has bonded with you."