Chapter 57

Content warning: Strong language

Blood was pumping in his ears. Salman was a mad man with murderous intentions. His fists tightening on the collar of Daud's fragile hospital gown. His fingers boring holes in the flimsy cloth. Dazedly, Daud droopy eyes gazed at him. His iris turning pale blue. Unfocused eyes met his deadly glare.

"I will kill you, you son of –" before Salman could complete the threat. Muhammad and Ibrahim both gripped his arms and pulled him back. He struggled to get free from the man.

"Leave me," he was like an untamed animal finally cornering his prey. It was time to sink in his teeth in the flesh of his prey.

There was a chaos in Daud's hospital room. Men shouting, Chloe pacifying the nurse who had barged in the room demanding an explanation.

But his father and uncle had other ideas. "Get a hold of yourself Salman," Muhammad shouted.

"He is already injured," Ibrahim pointed out in a desperate voice.

Years spent in energetic training in the gym had strengthened Salman's body. The swaying of his muscular arms was impossible for the older men to rein him in control. They were breathless with excessive exertion, the men pushed him back from the bed.

Salman's legs kicked, his arms yanking against their tightening hold. "I will teach him a lesson once and for all. Leave me. Just leave me."

He shook his head from side to side like a bull ready to charge in the Spanish bull fighting. Blood shot eyes, flared nostril, reddened face, Salman was with one goal.

Kill Daud.

Seema stood between Salman and the Daud's bed. She had come back from visiting the baby at the maternity hospital when the staff didn't allow anymore relatives at the neonatal ward. She gently placed her hand on her son's chest. Her soothing touch and teary eyes drained the energy out of Salman. His struggles subsiding. She slowly shook her head, her eyes imploring.

Heaving uncontrollably, his shoulders slumped forward and his head fell down. Vigilantly, Muhammad loosened his grip on Salman's arm. When Salman remained still, Muhammad nodded at Ibrahim to step back.

Nurse Siobhan gave a satisfactory nod, "He is critically injured. I would prefer if you take your family drama out of this room."

Chloe assured the nurse, "We will leave in a bit."

Glowering at Salman, Nurse Siobhan left the room.

Chin against his chest, tears fell straight to the white tiled hospital floor.

"Why?" Salman mumbled.

He lifted his head and Seema was stunned to see the wetness in his beard from his tears, "Why?" his moist eyes darted at the lifeless body of Daud.

"If you wanted revenge. You should have been a man and fight me." he sobbed. "Not my wife." He shook his head. "Not her." he sniffed.

He gulped in air, "W...wh...what did she do to you? Tell me?"

Daud numbly watched his cousin weep in front of him. Never did he think he would see Salman crumble in front of him. The conceited man replaced by a broken one.

"She was sincere to you. S...sh...she trusted you and you went after her life." Salman wiped the wetness from his chin with the back of his hand.

Daud didn't have the strength to correct him. he was never after her life.

"Ever since I intended to marry her, you came between us." Salman stepped back, "I know I was wrong I intentionally broke off your engagement. I ... I ... I devised a plan that would eventually make her mine. But you did worse. To go after her again and again until what?"