Chapter 22

Content Warning: MATURE CONTENT – READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

2 years ago

He rubbed the aching muscles at his nape. He had been working robustly for the last week, determined to implement the new marketing strategy that would boost the market share in the Irish halal meal products. Now as it was Friday evening, he wanted to lose himself in a hot shower and then sleep for endless hours. But his plans were not to be betide.

The shrill of the phone irritated him and his forehead creased. Exhaled, he answered his young cousin Usamah's call, "Daud Bhai?"

"Hmmm..." he replied closing his eyes and rubbing his temple.

"What you up to night?"

"No plans. Going to bed," He mumbled tiredly.

"There is this girl I really want to take out for dinner but she says she would only go on a double date if her friend comes along. I would have asked Fahd but he is married now. So.... I was wondering?" Usamah asked hopefully.

His lips stretched to a lazy smile, "Fix someone else with the poor girl. I am definitely not going to forego my sleep for some random girl."

"Bhai, please. Just once. You know I never ask you for favours," beseeched Usamah fervently.

Taking a cigarette from the box, he rolled it in his fingers, "Usamah who the hell is this woman? I don't want some random old woman to entertain all night."

"Actually, it's quiet contrary to what you are thinking. She just turned 20 and is studying at a local college. She is a very shy type and bookish."

He cringed hearing the description. "Too young. You know what, you sound very enthusiastic, why don't you go out with the two women? You will have a blast then." Daud muttered with the cigarette on his lips ready to light it.

"Bhai my girl will not agree. Okay only for two hours? What you say?"

He sighed heavily, "Fine just once. Do you hear me? Never again. No more blind dates."

"Promise. Pakka wala (sincere promise)," Usamah chuckled and Daud shook his head at his youngest counsin's silliness.

An hour later after a quick shower, Daud headed to a local Irish restaurant where Usamah was waiting with the girls. He was not looking forward to the evening at all. He had drawn a picture of a woman with gawky looks – big black rimmed thick glasses, fat and with loads of freckles. But he was wrong. Very wrong.

Usamah was standing with a red haired girl beside him waiting for their table at the entrance of the restaurant. There was another woman standing near them and he presumed was the woman in question. The light brown haired petite woman was observing a Romanticism painting hanging on the wall. Her back was to him so he couldn't gauge much of her appearance except at least she wasn't fat. But when she turned, he had stilled in talking to Usamah as he gaped at the girl in front of him. She was young no doubt about that. She was beautiful and definitely very shy. She wasn't able to meet his gaze. Her long brown hair with blond streaks framed her heart shaped face encompassing high cheekbones and luscious lips. When she did lift her thick eyelashes, he was lost. Her captivating grey eyes met his. He smiled a little in greeting but she hastily looked away.

Before Usamah could introduce them, Daud stepped forward and offered his hand, "Hi I am Daud."

She gazed at him and then at his outstretched hand, timidly her soft small hand slipped into his and he gripped it firmly. Her eyes widening slightly, "Hi I am Susan."