Chapter 33

SPOILER ALERT: For all those readers who haven't read Finding You, it is highly advised to read it before this chapter.

-----------------

The blood rushed through Nawal's veins as Salman's statement registered. Why was he always after my back?

"These are the abbayas we have in UK size 12." The shopkeeper pointed out to Salman.

Nawal wasn't able to see exactly what kind of abayas were being selected but her jaw clenched and her chest was rising and falling rapidly. She clutched the hijab in her hand tightly struggling to control her temper. It was her decision what she wears. How many times will she have to tell him that she was dressed modestly? Why was he adamant to force his way with her? For God's sake, she never wore half sleeves. She always left the house with a hijab and her clothes were not closely fit that would reveal her figure. So what was the problem? Why the abbaya?

"Can I see the blue one?" Salman's instruction was the last straw she could take. How dare he? Not even asking me once?

Stuffing the selected hijabs back on the rack, she spun around to face her obnoxious husband. She stomped towards him, leaving behind baffled Manal next to the hijab rack.

Not caring what the shopkeeper would think or that Manal was still within earshot, Nawal hissed, "What do you think you are doing?"

Salman eyes diverted from the blue abbaya in question to his wife and he frowned, "I was looking abbayas for you."

"Why?" her hands settled on her hips defensively.

"We have discussed this already Nawal. Let us buy one now and then we can talk it out once we are home." He calmly reasoned.

She shook her head, "If you think you can order me around and force your decision down my throat then you are wrong I am not going to do it." She glanced at the abbaya with contempt, "I am not buying anything. I don't need any hijabs and I definitely do NOT need any abbaya."

"Nawal –" but it was too late. Nawal quickly strode out of the shop.

Shaking his head in defeat, he turned to the wide eyed shopkeeper, "I will think about buying the abbaya some other time."

His eyes met Manal's who stood frozen with a few hijabs in her arms, "Are you done?"

She slowly nodded and went to the cash counter. Once the payment was made the sibling duo were on the verge of leaving the shop when Manal touched her brother's sleeve, "That was a bit harsh of Nawal. She has no respect for you."

Salman grew rigid.

Exhaling, Manal then continued, "She should be respecting you not embarrassing you in front of the world." She then shrugged imperturbably, "I thought she was finally accepting you as her husband." Her voice lowered, "I guess I was wrong."

Stunned, Salman soundlessly followed his sister out the shop contemplating the whole scenario. All he wanted was to purchase an abbaya. He wasn't asking her to wear it at that moment but gradually she could get used to it and eventually it becomes a habit.

She was his wife and he had a right to take care and look out for her. But she was determined to act over smart and above all not understand him. Worse now, she had embarrassed him in front of his sister and the people at the shop. As he glanced at his fuming wife standing next to the car with her arms crossed over her chest, his disposition soured exceedingly. He wasn't going to make up with her this time. Let her burn in her rage for all he cared.

Without even a slight glimpse at her, he unlocked the car with the automatic car key button and slid in the driving seat. No one spoke on the drive back home.