25: The World Has Turned and Left Me Here

Imagine smiling after being slapped. It was how I constantly felt after Stefan Salvatore continued the game of breaking my heart. He had promised me a forever, but I didn't know that his forever had a time stamp of several months. It appeared that both Salvatore's had given promises of a forever, but both Salvatore's broke them. 

   I had become more like the eldest Salvatore in the past four months, more like him in the past few days. Ever since I last saw Stefan, which was at the party at the swimming hole near Mystic Falls, I had been binge drinking. At first, I had been drinking with Enzo, but he disappeared after Caroline told him to go get some ice. I could have gone to Ric to have a binge drinking party, but he would bring more pity than necessary and it would not be binge drinking, but drinking for sadness. 

   I drank a bottle of whiskey while staring at nothing, something I had become good at doing. Staring at nothing and drinking, the two pastimes I have accumulated in the past few days. A scoff fell out of my mouth as I realised that I was more like Damon than I realised, which was terrible. 

   There were several knocks on the front door, making me groan. I stood from where I sat, laid the bottle on the table, and went to the door. "I can hear it," I mumbled as they knocked again. When I opened the door, my breath got caught in my throat. "What are you doing here, Stefan?"

   He stared at me for a couple of seconds, then cleared his throat and marched in with a black trunk in his arms. "I need a favour," he said. 

   "What makes you think I'll help you?" I muttered as I closed the door and turned to him. "And what the hell is in that trunk?" I walked around the trunk and was temped to touch him, but held myself back. "Why are you here, Stefan?"

   He turned around and stared me again. Since I first saw him for four months, he seemed to stare at me every time we saw each other. This was the third time. He pointed behind me. "That's why."

   I turned to see Ivy, the girl friend or friend or whatever she was. She was sitting in the trunk, glancing around with confusion in her eyes. "Where am I?" she asked. She looked at Stefan. "What did you do?"

   I furrowed my brows and crossed my arms. "What happened to you?" I asked her. 

   "Enzo turned her," Stefan said, with barely any emotion on his voice. 

   "Then Stefan broke my neck and I woke up in a trunk," she finished.

   "Right," Stefan nodded. "So, I need a little bit of help."

   "Oh, no," I said with a smile. "No, no, no, no. I'm not helping."

   "Just watch her for a little while," he said, "while I get Luke to make her a daylight ring." He was staring at her as she got out of the trunk. "Show her the ropes, teach her some control."

   "If you want someone to teach her control, you shouldn't have come to me. I'm the least person in this world now that has control." I said with a sarcastic smile at my lips. "You should have gone to Caroline. Out of everyone here, she had the most control."

   "She's not picking up her phone," he said with a sigh.

   "Did you try calling Elena?" I turned to the sofa and picked up my phone. "She's staying at the dorm for a while, thanks to our vampire hunter problem." I began to type a text message, but stopped when I noticed Ivy walking around and staring at everything. I glared at Stefan. "This is your mess, Stefan, why are you bringing it to me?"

   "A mess that wouldn't have happened if you just left me alone," he said.

   "Um, I can hear you, you know," Ivy said from behind me. "I can hear everything, like, perfectly."