04: Stand By Me

With my hands deep in my pocket and my thoughts everywhere else but in the island, Damon and I walked back to the camp-ground at human pace. Our feet touched the ground gently, crunching the few dead leaves and the fallen branches. It was fun stepping on them, at least it allowed me to think of something else other than Stefan, and what would happen when I returned to Mystic Falls. 

   I peeked into one of the tents, sighing when I found nothing. When I pulled myself up, I noticed Damon took a defensive stand in front of me. His eyes turned red, veins bulging as something among the trees caused them to rustle. "Unless you're a blond, a Bennett witch, or a doppelgänger, I suggest you steer clear." He motioned me to follow with his head, straight to the creepy wooden shack. The door creaked open.

   "Where it is?" Rebekah asked out of nowhere, causing the two of us to jump from her sudden appearance. I let out a scream, and pushed myself closer to Damon.  "The cure? I know someone has it."

   "Yeah, someone — Katherine," Damon nodded. 

   She stopped and stared at us with her eyes furrowed,confusion in her eyes. "Katherine? The doppelgänger?"

   "Yeah," I nodded. "Sneaky little bitch must have been spying on them for weeks. She killed Jeremy."

   "Or somebody did," Damon added with a shrug of his shoulder. He glanced at Rebekah, who sported a somber look. He rolled is eyes. "He killed your brother. Let's not with the fake sad face."

   "I didn't say I was going to miss him," she said, "but I'm not heartless. He was Elena's only family."

   "Good," Damon sighed. "Well, you can send flowers after you help us find Bonnie." He began to walk away, leaving me with Rebekah.

   "We need to find Katherine," she stated.

   I crossed my arms and began to follow Damon. "If there's one thing that I can guarantee in this miserable little world, it's that Katherine Pierce is gone."

   "We need to find Bonnie," Damon finished a few feet in front of us. "Oh, and beware of the immortal Silas. If he was asleep in that cave, he's awake now."

   After a moment of hesitation, Rebekah began to follow us. The woods seemed colder now, like in those movements. All that was left was the fog to appear, the harsh caw of a crow, the dead tree with its weird branches reaching out to you, and the strange whispers between the trees. Even though it wasn't as creepy as I would have thought, I still kept close to Damon. It came to the point where I almost had my arm wrapped around his. The eerie feeling wasn't because it was getting dark, but because an immortal being was walking around. 

   "Do you think Bonnie's dead?" Rebekah asked as we walked through the endless woods.

   "Never thought I'd say this, but I hope not," said Damon.

   "I don't like being out in the open like this," she muttered, glancing around with worried eyes. 

   "What, afraid of the big, bad Silas?" he mused. 

   "No."

   "Scaredy cat!" he said in a sing-song voice.

   "Oh my god," I groaned, rolling my eyes. 

   "I'm not a scaredy cat!" she defended. "My brother, Kol, drove himself mad worrying about Silas rising. It would benefit us all to be a bit concerned, and you're one to talk about being afraid. You're so scared, you're 1,200 miles away from where you're supposed to be."

   "Hey, somebody needed to find Bonnie."

   "Stefan could've done that. Aren't you Elena's current love? It's so hard to keep track these days."