16: The Devil Inside

Katherine died. Her heart stopped beating at night, and the sudden quietness was heard all through the house. There was a part of me that felt delighted, fresh, comforted as if I had nothing to worry about anymore. Another part of me wished she was alive, in pain, tortured for what she had done to me. The part which all I felt was comfort won, and I felt at ease now that Katherine was finally dead. 

   The moment she died, I fell asleep once again. It wasn't like last time, but just because I was tired and didn't want to deal with anyone. When the morning came, I was woken up with Caroline ripping the sheets from my body and basically throwing me in the shower with cold water running. As soon as the cold water touched the top of my head and went all over my body, I was wide awake. I glared at Caroline as she stood in front of me with her hands on her waist and a proud smile on her lips. 

   "Good, you're awake," she smiled. "Take a shower; I could smell you before I even entered the house."

   "I am offended by those words," I mumbled, standing and changing the cold to hot water. "Could you leave so I can shower in peace?"

   As soon as Caroline left, I took a quick shower and dressed myself in a white dress and a yellow sweater on top. I took a deep breath, ran my fingers through my hair, and walked out. Caroline sat on my bed, scrolling through her phone with her legs crossed and her bottom lip between her teeth. She looked up as soon as I closed the door, forced me a smile, and patted the empty side next to her. 

   "I've been calling you nonstop for hours," she began with a grown, throwing her head back in annoyance. "Clara, I needed to talk to you!"

   "You're here now," I said, crossing my legs and taking a good look at her. "What's up?"

   She took a deep breath and turned to me. "What would you say if I told you a certain awful person was in town, I ran into him in the woods and sort of kissed him. He was there and obviously wanted to kiss me, so I thought, 'we'll just make-out', but then it felt really good to kiss him, so then I kind of, totally had sex with him. I swear, I didn't plan to do it. Now, I feel terrible."

   "And who are we talking about?" I asked, arching a brow. I imagined that she was talking about Tyler Lockwood, who arrived the moment Katherine died. Apparently, he was a parting gift from Rebekah. 

   "It may have been Klaus..." Caroline said, slowing down each word. 

   My eyes widened with surprise. "Okay, wow... Wow, um." I scratched the back of my head and looked at her again. "Really?"

   "Would I make something like this up?" she groaned. "This is why I need you tell me what an awful person I am."

   "Caroline..." I sighed, shaking my head. 

   "No, tell me!" she whined, pulling my arm. "Clara, I need you tell me that I am a horrible person."

   "Fine," I sighed and stood in front of her. "Caroline, you're the least awful person I know. You're an amazing friend that deserves to feel happiness, and maybe Klaus was just trying to show you that."

   "Not helping!"

   For the first time since last night, I let out a smile. "I can't tell you that you're horrible because I would be lying." She fell back on he bed with her hands covering her eyes. I took a seat besides her and let out a sigh. "Klaus isn't a bad person, Care."

   "He tried to kill all of us at least once," she said in disbelief. 

   "Okay, maybe he is bad, but he's not horrible when you get to know him," I mumbled with a soft smile. "I spent a lot of time with him, and I can tell you that he's just stupid."