One.

----------

Warnings in advance for this fanfiction throughout :: mild violence | mature scenes •

----------

One:

Scanning the numbers that were engraved on the hallways of doors, Phil Lester let out an exhausted sigh of defeat. For the past twenty minutes he has done none other than pace up and down the large university building, nerves growing stronger with each step taken on the new, plush carpet. Although he was excited, he couldn't help but feel slightly anxious to wonder what university life could hold in store for him. If somebody had told him a year ago that one day he'd be attending the university of his dreams, he never would have believed them. Yet here he was, biting at his nails with anticipation, following a long stretch of flooring to yet another hallway of doors. Suddenly, he stopped in his tracks. Quickly checking the paper scrunched in his fist which contained his room number, his eyes lit up instantly. Phil took a deep breath, adjusted his hair to his liking, and put on his most angelic smile before reaching for the door handle. He had finally found his room, and if his roommate was already inside, he definitely wanted to make a good first impression. Shifting the door open wide, Phil stepped over the threshold, peering at the vast open space which would become his bedroom and working space for the next few years. Confusion struck him like lightning though, when his gaze fell upon the two beds in the corner, which had been pushed together. Littered around the beds were clothes and empty crisp packets. Phil's belongings which had supposedly been brought up here by staff were no where to be seen. The room had nobody in it. In a fleet of panic, he checked the room number again, but it confirmed a match with the one on his paper still. Phil took long strides so that he was now placed in the middle of the room, scratching his head, unsure of what to think. Surely the staff would've cleaned the rooms since the last students that attended? Snapping out of his trance, a muffled creak of a door opening caused Phil to almost jump out of his skin. He spun round, only to become face to face with a stranger he'd never seen before. An eerie silence consumed a few seconds. Phil made eye contact with the man, gazing into his bright, chocolate brown eyes, which were by now burning with fury. Feeling slightly awkward, he stared at the ground, preparing to introduce himself until he was interrupted.
"Who are you? What are you doing in my room?" The person growled, as his slender fingers reached up to move the slanted hat he was wearing back into place.
"I'm Phil. I'm your roommate, right?" Phil could feel a tight knot building in his stomach. He was so nervous. There was no way he wanted to make an enemy on the first day, furthermore, he especially didn't want it to be the person he would have to share a room with.
"No no no." His words spilled out fast. "No. I think you've made a mistake. You see, I've been here for two years, and I have never had a roomie."
Phil blinked, worried that the conversation would turn into an argument. He opened his mouth to speak, but again, the stranger cut in.
"And I don't plan to ever have one. So, if you could just..." With a smirk, the man in the doorway stepped back, pointing down the hall, gesturing to Phil to leave.
Pondering on what to do, Phil stayed frozen to the spot, a million ideas of what to say to compromise with this angered person buzzing round his head.
"What's your name? So I can, you know, tell the staff that there was a mix up with your room and where I'm supposed to stay." Phil figured he would have to ask the workers where his supplies were anyway, so mentioning the issue with the rooms wouldn't hurt.
"Dan. Thanks for understanding, Phil. Well, bye!" He then proceeded to skip into the room and flop down onto the beds. With a stretch and a small, childish giggle, Dan lazily waved at Phil, who by now had a frustrated scowl plastered on his face.
"Great meeting ya', Dan." Phil spat, moving to the hallway and slamming the door.
Phil knew already that his time spent at university would be long and tiring.