Survival Skill 14: Thou must have fun

Start from the beginning

“Well, people don’t seem to take it seriously.” I stated.

“Listen, George,” she grinned holding my shoulders. “We’re at a party! Let’s have fun.”

Have fun.

It was Rex Parker’s words before he left me here to rot. “Well, this isn’t my type of fun.” I said crossing my arms over my chest again.

“Its senior year.” she chuckled. “Forget about what’s your type and try something new.”

I thought about it for a second. Hmm, maybe, it was about time I try something new. I glanced at Joey, who was giving me a devious smirk. “Fine,” I sighed.

She clapped her hands in excitement. “Great!” Then she led me to the drinks table.

“HELL NO!” I screeched as she handed me my own red cup filled with alcohol that’s just waiting to be drank.

“Try something new,” she sang.

“This isn’t new, Joey. I tried it. You know what happened last time.” I reminded her. This wasn’t the first time I encountered alcohol. My first time was in sophomore year. It was when Violet decided that she thought bringing alcoholic beverages to her sleepover would be harmless because we’re only going to take a sip.

“So, you puked on Violet - “

And on Violet’s couch and on Violet’s cat and on Violet’s kitchen floor and on Violet again!”

“You’re exaggerating. Violet, didn’t even mind because she puked on you, too.” Joey chuckled. Yeah, we had at least five wardrobe changes throughout the night. “Then she puked on me and Amy puked on me, too.” Joey recalled with a grim look.

I couldn’t help but laugh.

“See! We only had ‘vomit’ trouble last time.” she grinned at me.

I rolled my eyes. “I also told you guys that I’ve always wanted to learn how to dance and we ended up dancing on the table then the next day, we all had a broken arm or leg.”

“We were sprained.” Joey corrected as if it was going to make it all better.

I grinned with sarcasm. “Oh, yeah, because that totally makes it so much better,”

“Pssshh!” she responded, waving me off. “We still had fun that night, right?”

I looked at the crowd who looked like they were having the time of their lives as I remembered my first experience with alcohol. Yes, we did have fun. The day after was the only thing that wasn’t fun and maybe, the rest of the days when we had to function with a cast.

“Come on, George,” she encouraged pushing the cup closer to my face. “Let’s just have fun!”

Have fun.

There go those words again. I looked at Joey as she was looking at me expectantly. Well, here goes nothing. I gave her a grin before putting the rim of the cup to my lips and drinking the alcohol down.

I guess it was time to have fun.

***************************************************************************************

Rex Parker

“Hey, have you seen George?” I asked Sean as he was casually drinking from a blue cup.

“No, sorry man.” he answered, standing up to get more alcohol.

I let out a breath of annoyance as I ran a frustrated hand over my hair. I’d been looking for her for twenty minutes now and I still had no clue to where she was. The toast went on longer than expected and we managed to finish two hours after because we lost track of time. And before I knew it, I had left my girlfriend far too long than expected.