Survival Skill 9: Thou must get a date

Rex Parker

“You want me to what?!” I asked in shock.

Jamie shrugged as if it was nothing. “I want you to ask my sister out on a date.”

“Do you think I'm suicidal or something?! You know she’s going to kill me if - “

“It’s just a date.”

“NO! It’s not just a date! Me - Rex Parker - asking her - Georgina Rodriguez - is like asking me to hang myself.” I told him, running a hand through my slightly damp hair. I'll be honest. I liked annoying George but this was just suicide.

“Rule #4,” he simply said, making me groan. “She won’t kill you because you agreed to the rules I made.” He sat down on the bunch, ignoring my obvious aggravation.

I slumped on the bench next to him. “Are you serious? We can barely follow rule # 1.”

We just finished football training and we were on our way to get a snack when Jamie decided to tell me his great idea.

“Who are you? And what have you done to Rex Parker?” he asked me, faking a shocked expression.

I chuckled. “I just don’t know if George and I are ready to go on a date yet,”

“Is Rex Parker scared of my tiny older sister?” he asked with a smirk.

“Well, for a tiny girl she has a big mouth."

He smirked. “Can’t argue on that one, then.”

I shook  my head in amusement. “I just want my first date with her to be something I know she won’t regret.”

He looked at me with an amused expression. “You’re taking the boyfriend thing too seriously.”

I heaved out a sigh as I tried to think of words to explain why I wanted it that way. “I guess I don’t want my first ever relationship to be something I didn’t make an effort in even if I did just force her to it.”

As stupid as it sounded, I didn't want my first relationship to be something to be taken lightly. That might be one of the reasons why, despite the fact that I had been with a few girls, I didn't want anything to be official yet. Mom taught me not to take the serious ones for granted which was why I was not planning to make myself regret anything about this even if it wasn't really a relationship in the first place.

“And the best boyfriend award goes to,” he said before prentending to play the trumpet. “Rex Parker.”

I punched him playfully while giving him a grin. “What do boyfriends do on dates, anyway?” I asked, changing the subject.

“They make sure their girlfriends happy.” Jamie answered with a smirk.

I grinned. “Well, I’ll already fail on that when she sees my face.”

He looked at me with amusement. “You can always bring chocolate. You can never fail with chocolate.”

“I still think our first date's going to suck.” I rubbed my temples.

“Hey! I know this is not your first date." he said, pointing a finger at me. "What do you usually do on dates?”

“Make out,” I shrugged. “That’s what we usually do.”

“Well, you're not gonna have that with my sister." Jamie chuckled but then scowled as soon as he realized something “but if you do, please do not tell me about it.” I grinned at his pleading. “I really do not need mental images of how you stuck your tongue in my sister’s throat.”