Survival Skill 3: Thou must be full of surprises

Georgina Rodriguez

Remember when Mom told me that she didn’t want surprises today. Well, she was wrong. There were many surprises today. To different people but it all happened in one day.

The first surprise was, unfortunately, for me.

As I was getting up bright and early in my usual happy mood---

Tok! Tok! Tok!

I looked around my room and saw that someone was knocking on my bedroom window, that so-called someone instantly turned my mood sour.

Rex Parker had a boyish smile plastered on his stupid face while standing on the roof of our first floor and he was knocking loudly on my bedroom window.

Our house had a distinct difference from the other houses here. Our first floor was wider than our second floor, making the excess of the first floor have a roof. It was a pretty good design choice - well, until, this happened.

I instantly stood up, my brows furrowing and my hands forming to fists. Heading to the door, I tried to control my anger from breaking point. “What the hell are you doing, Rex?!”

“Can’t I greet my future girlfriend, ‘Good morning’?”

I could seriously push him at this moment and then I could see him plummet to his death. Afterwards, people would think it was an accident if only I could somehow make it look like he wanted it to be done in the first---

Rex' voice snapped me out of my thoughts of potential homicide. “Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

I glared at him, ignoring his question. “How the hell did you get here?”

“Tree,” he pointed out simply before jabbing his thumb to the direction of the tree in between our houses which was conveniently closest to my room.

I grunted. Curse him and his ability to cross houses using trees. 

“So, aren’t you going to let me in?” he asked, his tone as sweet as honey. “I mean, I’ve been here for at least 10 minutes watching you with your mouth open and drooling and stuff. It wasn’t a pretty sight to be honest.”

My eyes widen and my fists tightened this time around. I was seriously thinking of pushing him then and there.

Tok! Tok! Tok!

A knock on my door cut me off my murderous thoughts. I stood straight and put a finger to my pursed lips, signaling Rex to shut up. Taking reluctant steps to the door, I leaned on it. “Who is it?”

“It’s me. I thought I heard you screaming. Is everything okay?” Pop's voice was heard through the door.

I quickly opened my door, giving him the best smile I can muster. “Hey!”

“Hey, is someone there? I heard voices.” Pop asked with an arch brow.

I let out a loud—fake---laugh.

He crossed his arms over his chest and gave me a look that told me he wasn’t buying it.

I stopped abruptly and decided to just convince him myself. “Wow! Someone here? How could someone be here this early?”

“My thoughts exactly,” he chided looking at me curiously as he tried to peek inside my room.

I closed it slightly, giving him a sweet smile. “Seriously, Pop?! You must be hearing things. I read that once you get old your hearing starts to - “