Cursed city

Cursed City
As per the tales mentioned in Mahabharata, Dwarka city was devastated due to the curse of Gandhari. Gandhari was the mother of Duryodhana and wife of the King Dhritarashtra. Gandhari was dejected to here that at the end of the Kurukshetra war she lost her 100 sons. When Lord Krishna went to her to offer his condolence, she in wrath questioned Krishna about the war. She asked him though he had the power to stop the war why he did not end the war. She further added that it was due to the fate of King Dhritarashtra to be born blind and suffer from the pain of having his  100 sons killed. But she had done nothing wrong in her past life to suffer from this devastating situation. Out of rage and desperation, she cursed Lord Krishna and his entire Kingdom.

She said that as she has to suffer through the pain of losing her sons, Krishna will go through the pain to see his entire Yadava clan die right in front of his eyes. Not only this she also cursed that Lord Krishna’s kingdom will burn to ashes.  It was further added that all the sons of Lord Krishna will die in a massive fight which will happen in Dwarka. And at this uncertain happening Krishna will be left powerless to stop the war and control the destruction of the Dwarka city. This solemn utterance of the Queen Gandhari to harm or punish Lord Krishna is considered as a reason of demolition of Dwarka kingdom. Mahabharata is a historical base to this tale.

In front of the Dwarka city’s famous Dwarkadhish temple, there has been archaeological excavation to prove the fact of its getting submerged into the sea. This excavation dates back to 15th century BC.