The Ordinary Life of a Teenage Superhero

CHAPTER 1

SAM

What do you think happens when supers and typicals mix? Take it from someone as experienced as me, it doesn't end well. That's why for all fourteen years of my life, I have stayed with only my seven super friends.

No, I mean literally super. If you thought I was getting all mushy on you, like 'oh my friends are so awesome, I love them so much', then you obviously don't know me. I don't do mushy. I said super 'cus my friends and I truly are superheroes.

That's right, I said superheroes. Like Batman or Wonderwoman or anyone else you'd read about in a comic book. Except you'll never find us in a comic book because we aren't supposed to exist. So, sadly, no one knows about the Eight Supers of Havensbrooke, Maine, even though we are the most awesome superheroes to ever have existed (and yes, maybe I'm a little biased, but it's still true).

Speaking of the Eight Supers, let me introduce you all to them. First, and oldest, we have Brandon Freeburg, the telepathic and telekinetic sophomore whose ego is the size of Mount Everest.

Next is Jaxson Blue, a quiet, gentle kid, whose senses are enhanced (which basically means he has the hearing of a bat and the eyesight of a hawk) and who also has the power to take away others senses. He, like most of our group, is a freshman.

Then come the twins, Skylar and Rosemary Stirling. Both their powers and personalities are polar opposites. While both the twins have super speed and the ability to fly, Skylar has power over ice, and Rosemary has power over fire. They are fire and ice, popular and geek, but they still love each other.

After them is Brooklyn Cadner. She can shapeshift and has phosphorescence (which basically means she's a glow stick). She plays soccer with me and Rosemary and does theatre with Skylar. Her dad owns the candy shop where we all hang out.

Next is Andrew Keener, who is in seventh grade. He's a nature freak and can communicate with animals and control plants. Andrew is my brother. He's annoying, but he's still family and I love him.

Natalie Sealock is the youngest of our group. She's in sixth grade, one year younger than Andrew. Natalie can turn invisible and control people's minds (or hypnotize them, whichever term you prefer). She lives with her mom. Her parents got divorced when she was young, and even though her dad lives in town she never sees him.

And finally you have me, Samantha Keener. Freshman. Super strong and super elastic. I'm like a mixture of Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, able to stretch in almost any way imaginable and still stronger than a rhino. So, basically, I'm like the unknown child of the Incredibles. Everyone who knows me says I'm a total badass. They're right. I totally am.

Now I welcome you to present day. Time: morning (Just go with it. I'm too lazy to actually check a clock.). Place: my home. Occasion: first day at Havensbrooke High. As I sit with Andrew at our kitchen table, stuffing my mouth with food and listening to the morning news, something catches my attention.

"Missing child returns unharmed after disappearing more than two weeks ago," the newscaster says.

Andrew's and my heads snap towards the TV.

"Dang," Andrew says, "That's worse than the time I got lost in Disneyworld."

"Shut up, Andrew," I snap and turn up the TV.

"Twelve year old Catie Johnson mysteriously returns to her home after disappearing for two weeks."

"Twelve. She's as old as you, Andrew. Do you know her?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "I don't think so."

The image on the TV switches to one of a younger girl, who they quickly identify as Catie Johnson.