Confrontations

I'm home alone late on Saturday night when the doorbell starts to ring. I run downstairs to answer it and spot Sasuke and Sakura standing on my doorstep. What a weird pair. Sakura looks concerned and Sasuke looks unaware. Plus, he's got a scratch on his face. I wonder who it's from this time.

"Er," I pause. "Hey, guys... What's up?"

"I found Sasuke walking around downtown by himself," Sakura says quietly. "I pulled up and offered him a ride home, but he wanted me to take him to you..."

"Ah," I say, opening the door wider and allowing them both inside. I put both my hands on Sasuke's shoulder and steer him up the stairs and into the bathroom. He sits on the toilet seat lid and I fish the first aid kit out from under the sink. Sakura hovers in the doorway, having followed us upstairs.

"He tripped," she says, almost as if she can't believe the ever-graceful Sasuke Uchiha would do something so indignant. "He fell face first...!"

"Oh," I murmur. I guess that's a bit of a relief. At least no one hit him. That means he didn't get himself into trouble... Or, at least not too much trouble.

"Your mom told my mom you've been sad lately," Sasuke murmurs out of the blue. His voice sounds strange to my ears and it doesn't take a genius to figure out he's far from sober.

"Did she now?" I ask offhandedly as I clean the cut, just to be safe.

He nods slowly once I'm done. "They were talking on the phone... and I heard a bit of what my mom was saying. She wanted to know how you were doing..."

"Oh," is all I say.

"Why?" he asks.

"Why what?" I respond.

"Why're you sad?"

"I'm not," I tell him.

"Is it 'cause of me?"

"No," I say flatly. "It's not because of you."

He lets out a breath. "You're lying."

I glance at Sakura from the corner of my eye. She looks confused and curious. I try to ignore her.

"Sasuke?" I say his name.

"Hm?" he muses.

"What are you on right now?" I ask him.

"Hmm... Cocaine," he says.

"You know... you seem to do a lot of cocaine," I mutter.

"I like it."

Sakura looks scandalized. If the entire situation wasn't so fucked up and sad, I might laugh.

"You should probably stop," I suggest, though it's probably in vain.

"No," he says easily. "I feel pretty good."

I relent for now, knowing it's no good arguing with him like this... or at all. "So, who did you get it from?"

He squints, as if he's trying to remember. "No," he murmurs. "I can't tell."

"Why not?"

"You'll get mad," he says, sounding whiny.

I let out a sigh. That gives me my answer. "Oh," is all I say. I put the first aid kit away and urge Sasuke to his feet.

We exit the bathroom. I spare Sakura a glance and the three of us go back downstairs and settle in the living room. "So, uh," I pause. "What do you guys want to do?"

"How about telling me exactly what's going on?" Sakura asks coldly, crossing her arms.

"How about no?" Sasuke retorts, mocking her tone.