“And then what?” I inquired.

“And then love, we get back the ship, grab the witch, and we’ll be wealthy and prosperous.” He mumbled before falling into a deep sleep.

I let Flynn’s plans for the future of the voyage float around in my head until darkness welcomed me and sleep finally took over.

*********

“I am not repeating myself” Flynn said gruffly.

I fought the urge to stick my tongue out at him at the risk of looking childish, “Flynn, there is a whole crew the enemy would have to go through before getting anywhere near us” I reasoned.

Argo scoffed, “Adeline do you know how many situations and deaths could have been avoided if you had known how to world a blade earlier on? Stop giving us a hard time and pick up a weapon.” Argo said in an annoyed tone.

Sara giggled, as I groaned and picked up the sword, “What now?” Zintarrah asked as she copied my movements.

“Argo and Lashwin will help you with your footwork. I’m going to the helm” Flynn murmured.

“Wait I thought it would be you who would teach us” I said trying to hide the disappointment from my tone. I barely knew Lashwin other than the fact that he was tall and lanky with bright red hair. Other than that, we I knew nothing.

“Nonsense! Lashwin and Argo are more than capable.” Flynn said after scoffing at me.

“Come on Adeline. You scared I’ll not go easy on you?” Argo taunted. I glowered at him as Flynn trudged away.

“So first off, we’re going to work on your balance and your stability when it comes to holding the blade” Lashwin said in a dry tone. I frowned in response; he could have at least acted interested.

Zintarrah was first to stand with her legs spread awkwardly and practice balancing the sword. She and Sara did it easily. I on the other hand was another matter entirely. After a whole hour of trying, I was still where I had first began.

“For god’s sake Adeline! Stop bloody wiggling so much!” Argo yelled.

I sighed, “I can’t help it if my hand shakes! This thing is entirely too heavy” I complained.

Lashwin pushed his hands into his hair in frustration, “I think we’ve done enough for today.” He muttered.

“Thank the gods” I murmured before hurling the blade onto the floor and making my way to the kitchen. Loki seemed to be the only person not bothering me today.

“How was it?” Loki asked as he continued to cut vegetables.

I groaned, “Terrible. I’d rather not talk about it.”

Loki shrugged in response, “So what then?”

I wrung my hands, “Do you really believe in this stone nonsense?” I asked quickly.

Loki paused, “Yes I do actually and I can’t believe you’re doubting Flynn” he said in a disappointed tone.

I scoffed, “I can have my own opinion Loki and I am not doubting him, I am merely stating my doubts. There’s a difference!”

“No there isn’t” He countered.

I glared at him, “So have you ever seen one before? How exactly do they work?” I asked as I rolled dough.

Loki shrugged, “I’ve seen it a few times but no one’s ever used it in front of me. I heard it lights up or something like tha’, ya know?”

“A rock? Lighting up?” I asked in disbelief.

Loki shrugged in response, “Tis’ just what I’ve heard Adeline, and it isn’t a rock. Tis’ a stone” he said in his own defense.

I rolled my eyes, “They’re nearly the same thing.”

“Are not.” He countered.

I ignored him and quickly changed the subject, “Are you aware as to why Flynn made Lashwin help us train today? We are not familiar with him in the least.”

“Who?” Loki asked.

I narrowed my eyes, “Pablo”

“Oh! I recommended him. We got to talking last night and he truly is a good swordsman. Was a soldier himself like your brother.”

I was just about to ask Loki to pass the knife when Argo appeared in the kitchen’s doorway, “Flynn wants us all in the captain’s chambers now” he said somberly.

Loki stopped cutting to look up at him, “What is it?”

“It’s about Indie” Argo said quietly.

My blood ran cold.

Thanks for reading! Leave a vote and a comment if you enjoyed the chapter.