Chapter 17 (unedited)

None of us left the hospital. We hunkered down in the waiting room again. Rest of the family went back to the house or hotel. Just as it has been for the last couple of weeks Lenny, Myk and I sat in Mom’s room just listening to the rhythm of her heart beat. It was like sweet music to my ears. It reassured me that she’s still with us.

It was way passed lunch time at this point. Early evening I would call it. Lenny and Myk have a game of Go Fish going at the foot of Mom’s bed. I sat in my chair texting “Marsha”. He’s still in the area and wants to see me. God knows I want to see him too but there is no way I am leaving this hospital again. Knowing him he’s going to kidnap me again the moment I leave this floor. 

“Earth to Asia!” I jumped at the proximity of Lenny to my ear. “Yeesh Lenny you don’t have to yell.” My hands are still cupped over my ears. He just yelled directly in my hear. “Gosh I’m going to have permanent inner ear damage.” He laughed out loud as if it’s the most hysterical thing on earth. “No you wont.” I glared up at him. “Don’t look at me like that. I called you but you never even looked away from your phone. I asked if you wanted anything from the cafeteria.” I shook my head in answer. 

“I’ll be back.” Lenny took one step toward the door and a deafening beep destroyed the silence. At first Mykaela and I were confused until we saw Lenny’s face. He stopped right in his tracks with this horror filled expression. We didn’t have time to react as a team of nurses rushed in. Pushing us promptly out of the room. 

The three of us stood right outside the room. Myk stayed closes to the door. While I took up residence right in the middle of the hallway. Lenny rested his back against the wall directly in the middle of us.  

I could hear screams of commands flying on the other side of the door. “SOMEONE TURN OFF THAT MACHINE!” The heart wrenching noise stopped. “CHARGE TO TWO HUNDRED!” “CLEAR!” Then an awful sound I never want to hear ever again surged through the door to my ears. “AGAIN!” “CLEAR!” I covered my ears trying to stop the sound from penetrating my soul.

We stood there waiting, for what seemed like hours, as different sounds came through the door. Then there was just silence. I dropped my hands from ears and looked at the door expectantly. The door opened up and the team filed out one by one. Not one of them making eye contact with any of us. The doctor was last. “I’m so sorry.” That was as far as he got before I broke down. The ground came rushing up to me as the sobs possessed my body. I lay on floor letting the tears run freely from my eyes.

I felt arms go around my body and hold onto me. I gathered myself enough to sit up. The arms around me are Myk’s. I turned around and embraced her. For a good long minute we just cried into each others shoulder. “Come on Asia we need to say goodbye.” We both got up and went to the room. 

It’s a war zone. There are things just thrown every where as if a tornado hit. Lenny sat there holding her hand. Just repeating I love you over and over. Myk went over and sat opposite of Lenny. I closed the door so that we could have this moment alone.

Myk called Aunt CoCo on the phone after we left the hospital. Aunt CoCo said that she would tell the rest of the family and not to worry. We decided to go to my house tonight since the family is at Mom’s. I went straight to my room and laid on my bed for a minute. Well I thought it was a minute. 

Before I knew it the morning sun woke me up. For a brief moment I allowed myself to just lay there. Not moving or thinking about a single thing. That is until the smoke alarms started blaring. In a second I was out of bed and running for the kitchen. “Lenny what the hell?” I said coughing loudly. There he stood in the middle of the kitchen attempting to burn down my house. Has the entire downstairs area filled with smoke. 

I swiftly went over to the stove and started switching everything off. I grabbed a wet towel and threw it over the blazing skillet. Once everything calmed down. I spun on him. He already had his hands up in surrender. “Sorry. I just wanted to cook breakfast for you guys.” I wanted to be so angry at him but the look in his eyes stopped me. I just shook my head. “Clean this up and I will make breakfast.” He nodded in answer so I ran to my room for a quick shower. 

It was ten o’clock before Mykaela made an appearance. Although, she did not come from the direction I expected. The front door opened and she entered with a yawn. “Hey y’all.” Lenny and I glanced at each other confused. “Hey Myk where you been?” Lenny asked, turning his attention back to the front door. “Lawyer.” Was all she replied and we knew that she went to Mom’s attorney. She sat down at the table and started making herself a plate. “So everything is taken care of. Mom apparently already made her own funeral arrangements with Golden Gate. So its tomorrow morning at eleven.” Lenny never looked up from his plate. I just nodded my head in understanding. We ate the rest of our breakfast in silence.

After breakfast we settled in the living room to watch TV for a while. Which ended up being the rest of the day. No one came by or called. There was no disturbance what so ever. Just the three of us. 

After dinner we all retreated to our own corners of the house. Just before sleep over took me Lucky Strike by Maroon 5 started playing. I reached over to the night stand for the phone. “Hello?” I asked drowsily. “Hey Asia it’s Curtis I’m calling for an update.” I sighed deeply sitting up in bed before I responded. “She died yesterday.” He let out a frustrated sigh. “The funeral is eleven a.m. at Golden Gate Funeral Home.” “Don’t tell her I’m coming. I will be there in the morning.” I nodded my head like he could see me. He hung up without further words.

I sat there on the bed staring out of the window. I haven’t called Marshall either. I settled for a text message as I laid back on my pillows. ‘Hey. What are you up to?’ He didn’t respond. Not even a whole minute later he was calling me. I answered without much hesitation. 

“Hey.” I spoke softly “What’s wrong? What happened?” My brow furrowed in confusion. “Who said that anything was wrong?” “You asked what I was up to. You really only do that when you’re upset or stressed about something.” 

A smile slowly spread across my face but then was gone as memories of yesterday flooded in. “Mom died yesterday.” “Aw man I’m really sorry Asia. Do you need anything?” “I think I will be okay.” 

A silent tear making its way down my cheek. “It hit hard yesterday. Standing in that hall hearing the staff trying to rescue her.” I sighed sadly as more tears spilled from my eyes. “You want me to come? There I mean? Tonight?” 

I was stunned into silence for a moment. “You’re still in Dallas?” “Yeah.” I could her him stretching with his yawn. I thought for a moment. Should he come here with Myk right upstairs? “No to risky. Myk is upstairs.” He sighed defeated. “Okay fine.” I thought for a moment. “Can I see you tomorrow? After the funeral?” “Of course. I will be here at our spot.” I laughed softly. “Okay see you tomorrow. Bye.” I hung up before he could say another word.

The next morning you could feel the despair seeping into every particle of the funeral home. So many people had come out to say their farewells to Mom. The place is so packed that it’s standing room only.

Lenny, Macey, Aunt CoCo, Myk and I, in that reverse order, made up the front row. I sat closest to the isle with Myk next to me then Aunt CoCo, Lenny, and finally Macey. We weren’t taking up the whole pew but no one else ventured forward.

We were taking a moment of silence when the dam broke. I knew it was coming soon. She had kept it together so well, for far longer then I was able to. Myk began to cry so loud all of a sudden. As if an uncontrollable force took over her. I started to turn to give her comfort when a hand tapped my shoulder. When I turned I saw Curtis. I smile at him grateful then stood. He took my place and I shuffled down to the end of the pew. 

As the preacher began to speak I felt someone come down next to me. I turned to see Chester. I flashed him a quick smile as he put his arm around me and pulled me in close. As I sat there I let my mind wonder. Hearing the preacher but not really listening. I couldn’t help but wish that Marshall was here with me.

As soon as the service was over Curtis pulled Myk out of the church with the rest of us following close behind.