[thirty one]

(A/N: Song for this chapter: Bad Blood by Bastille xx) 

~~~

"It was a long time ago.." Liam started. He sounded as if he was a story-teller, telling children mystical tales of kingdoms. I pushed the thought out of my brain and listened.

"We were in our first year.."

"Alright, alright, take your seats, class." Mr. Clark said. The class was full of unruly kids, eager to get out of the classroom. Others were more well-behaved, happy to be in their first college class. Even if it was homeroom. 

"Mr. Clark taught homeroom?" Angie asks. Liam rolls his eyes, making Calum laugh. "Yes, yes. Now let me get back to the story." Liam sighs.

"I, of course, was one of those eager students..."

"Hey, plaid boy, what are you reading? We haven't even gotten any assignments!" A boy with stripes and glasses laughed. His blue eyes seemed to laugh with his mouth behind the lenses. Liam was surprised to find he had an accent like himself. He flushed, embarrassed to be teased. "It isn't a book for class, just-"

"Eww, reading for fun?! Lame!" Stripes laughed again. Liam was embarrassed once more. "Well.. What do you do for fun?" He asked Stripes. Before he could reply, a cheeky blonde with crooked teeth popped up next to Liam. "I like to eat. And play guitar. It's fun. Do you like music too?" He asked him with an Irish accent. Quite the chatter box... Liam had thought. "Yeah, actually, I do," He smiled.

"Everyone, quiet down, we have to start," Mr. Clark called again. It being his first time teaching at the school, it was hard for him to handle the rowdy kids. "Don't you think you should sit down? He seems angry.." Liam told the boys. They both shrugged. "Homeroom probably won't start for another few minutes. It's just the first day." Stripes replied. Blondie nodded.

Just then, another boy came up to them. He had dark hair and dark eyes. He was a little more tan than the other boys. With an accent a little bit different than Stripes' and Liam's, he spoke to them. "Have we gotten seat assignments? Or do we sit wherever?" He asked. Liam took note on how he spoke. He said words differently. He must be from a different side of Britain. 

"You can sit anywhere you'd like, sir!" Stripes said with a funny voice. The dark-eyed-boy just looked at him strangely. Liam could tell he was suppressing a laugh. The boy slipped into the seat next to Liam. "I'm Zayn," He told the three boys. "First name basis already?" Blondie laughed. His laugh was contagious and caused the others to chuckle. "Well I'm Louis Tomlinson." Stripes, or Louis, announced. Liam rolled his eyes, contemplating whether to call him full of himself or not.

"I'm Niall." The blonde smiled. Liam could see his crooked teeth better now. He decided they suited him. The three boys looked at Liam expectantly. "Uh, name's Liam.. Liam Payne.." He said quietly. He wasn't expecting to get to know these boys at all. He didn't prepare to announce his name. But they were welcoming. "Welcome to the club, Payno!" Louis smiled, making Liam smile too.

They sat in a square, Liam and Zayn next to each other, and behind them, Niall and Louis. They began to talk when in came a clumsy boy with curly brown hair. He was wearing a beanie and a big purple hoodie with the name 'Jack Wills' on it. 

"Wait.. This is Harry we're talking about?" I ask, eyes wide. Liam chuckles and so does Calum. "Yup, that's how he dressed. No super tight clothes with tattoos or anything." He says. I find it hard to believe, but I did see the pictures. "Continue,"

His Converse were wet from the rain that had started outside. He stumbled in, getting a glare from Mr. Clark. Suddenly, the boy stopped and looked around the room for a place to sit.

"Hey, Curly," Louis called to him. The boy looked over at him. "Me?" He asked. Louis nodded. "I like your shoes." He smiled, accentuating the 'oo' in 'shoes'. Curly smiled brightly, his dimples showing for the first time. He took a seat next to Liam and the five boys talked together. They learned that 'Curly' wasn't actually his name. It was Harry, which they found hilarious, because his mop was indeed hairy.

The rest of the boys' classes weren't all together, and not at the same times either, but one saw another here and there. They sat with each other at lunch that day and hung out at Niall's room that night. That day marked the first of nearly three years for the boys. They were best friends. 

"We were, like... Inseparable.." Liam says, looking down. He looks like he's upset or in thought. Maybe both. "What happened?" I ask softly. He just sighs.

"It was a month after the End-Of-School dance.. We planned on taking a road trip to California..."

"I can't, Harry. I have the twins to take care of," Louis said. "What about you guys?" Harry asked the rest of the boys. "I promised me mum I'd go home," Niall said, giving Harry an apologetic look. He knew how much it meant to Harry. They all did. But they didn't think he was so serious about it. They didn't plan it, even. "My mum is taking off with Waliyha, I have to take care of the others," Zayn frowned. Harry turned to Liam with the smallest glimmer of hope. "Harry, I haven't seen my parents all summer-"

"You guys really don't care do you?" Harry frowned. He was really upset about this. He planned it by himself. But he never told the boys in time. They had already made plans. "Harry," Zayn said. "Don't," Harry snapped back. "This means so much to me! You guys blew me off!" He shouted.

"Harry, no need to get mad," Niall said softly. Harry softened to Niall. They all did. No one could yell at him. "I just am hurt." Harry declared.

Soon, the hurt morphed into yelling and shouting and accusing. Harry accused them of not caring. He accused them of not liking him. They shouted at him, saying he was stupid to think that. And then they all yelled. 

"Eventually, he had enough and.. he decided that we didn't care about him. He left us and we were so upset and distraught, but.. After seeing how quickly he bounced back, with this new group of guys and tattoos and fighting and drinking... We decided he wasn't himself and he wouldn't ever be. We let him go." Liam says quietly. He sounds so pained. Harry is this boy that he was a brother to. And now they can't even be in the same room. It hurts me.

"I'm so sorry," I say softly. He shakes his head. "It's okay.." He sighs. It takes a few minutes, but he talks again.

"So, when we saw he became 'himself', or whatever, that's what he told us when we asked, we... Did what we were always scared to do to ourselves. Niall dyed his hair. Zayn started wearing hats. I started wearing flower crowns.. Louis never changed, though. He was always himself." Liam says.

Calum clears his throat and I remember he's still here. "So, uhm, can I add something?" He says. We all nod. "The reason we weren't affected.. The 'Aussies'.. Is because we were upstate for our band when this happened. We didn't want to take sides or ruin any friendship between the boys and Harry, so we just stayed mutual friends with them all." He explains. 

We finish up our lunch quietly, not saying much.

Angie and I get up to go. "Thank you both. And I'm sorry. For what happened."

~~~

A/N:

Hello <3

Really sorry I didn't update yesterday, it was kind of rough for me -.-

But I'm back baby :P

So how did you like this chapter?

It kind of cleared up some confusion that I've put in this book.

I'm working on clearing up the rest haha ;)

Andd,

I hope you all had a fantastic Valentine's day :3

So yup!!

Please remember to vote and comment, as usual xx

Hopefully I will talk to you tomorrow ^~^

Lovesss <3

-allie xx