Round 6 - Entries

Helena Woods

After a stop for a quick snack on my crackers and a sip of water, I head towards the Cornucopia for what seems like the umpteenth time today. But, for my plan to work, I need to find a tribute, and most of them — those that are left — are probably close to the centre of the arena.

Of course, if I run into someone before, it still works.

I just need someone.

I've walked for about twenty minutes, and I can see the trees are thinning. I look up, and to my surprise, the sky is already dark. I guess that in the shadow of the trees you can't really tell what time of the day it is.

I make a mental note of that. Not that I'll need it for much longer.

Suddenly, I smell smoke and hear the crackling of a fire. I hide behind a tree, then question what I just did.

I inch my way around the trees, despite my thoughts, until I see the fire, and beside it... Jyriter Amir.

I should feel happy that I found her. Well, maybe not happy, but at least something. But I'm a body with no soul. I feel nothing. I haven't felt anything since the Minotaur incident.

Suddenly, I hear a scream, and when I peer around my hiding spot, Krystin Han is pulling her sword from Jyriter's back and wiping it on the grass.

As the cannon sounds, something behind her catches my eye. The small fire Jyriter had built is growing larger by the minute.

Krystin doesn't seem to notice, though, and I stifle the urge to scream. I can feel my heart beating faster, my breath catching in my throat.

Without thinking twice, I start sprinting away from the danger. But as soon as I speed up, the fire also does. I can hear the roar as the flames lick my heels, feel the heat behind me.

In front of me, more fire sprouts from the trees, the ground, everywhere.

I know I can't run like this forever, especially if I have to jump over fallen logs. Even now, my legs are starting to feel like lead, and my lungs yearn for air.

Suddenly, I can't keep going anymore. I drop to the ground and throw up, trying to fill my lungs. My last breaths before I die.

But as I lie there, nothing seems to be getting hotter. Other than my legs, nothing hurts or burns.

Slowly, I open my watering eyes. But what I see makes me wish I hadn't.

My mother is lying on the ground, her body still, her face pale, her eyes empty of any emotion.

"Mom!" I choke, my throat dry from the smoke. "Mom!" I crawl over to her side and take her cold hand in my own trembling ones. A sob escapes my throat.

She was the only thing I had left. My father, killed in a forest fire. My sister, reaped and murdered in the Games. As the reality of it all sinks in, the body disappears.

And when the next trial appears, I finally know what is happening.

First, fire. When my dad died, I was left with a huge fear of fire. Then both my dad and sister dead left only my mom. And the arena showed her dead too, leaving me as an orphan. Another of my biggest fears.

Now.... The ground opens beneath my feet, and I get pulled down. Dirt and grass and leaves cover me. Something wriggles on the back of my neck.

People back in the Capitol must be on the floor laughing at my face. I hold on to that thought as my ears also get filled up.