Round 3 - Entries

Zoe Modjeska

Red. Crimson red. Flowing from the stab wound from my thigh. I rip a bandage strip from the sterile white roll and wrap it tightly around my thigh. The white quickly becomes stained with red.

Bang. A scream. I need to get out of here immediately. I see a young, dark-haired girl peer menacingly through the branches. She hasn't seen me yet, because those dark eyes slide right over me. The soft, orange glow of the setting sun shine across the girl's red highlights.

I wrinkle my nose. Red highlights? She can't be serious. Muggles these days and their ridiculous fashions. But it isn't a time to be discussing the latest Muggle trends. My leg is still bleeding thick and fast. I try to apply more pressure onto it, but the flow only slows a bit.

I turn my attention away from my leg and stare through the long, flowing tresses of this willow tree I have hid in. It's only a few hundred metres from the huge, metal structure, I think I heard one of the Hunger Games competitors call it 'the Cornucopia'. But at least it's better than out in the open.

After I deem my leg wound hopeless, I rip off more bandages and wrap my thigh as tightly as I dare before gathering my few supplies and scaling down the tree. I land a bit too roughly – I haven't climbed a tree in ages.

I scramble up as fast as I can but my spinning head slows my senses. This isn't good, I need my wits about me if I'm to survive. I stagger through the valley gorge that is the arena, trying to keep my footsteps light and quiet and avoid putting pressure on my left leg where the stab wound is.

Beads of perspiration have appeared at my forehead and I brush them away, trying not to focus on the growing pain at my thigh. I can't go on for much longer and decide to rest for a bit in a tree. As soon as I heave myself onto a low-hanging branch, it's clear my leg can't take it.

I can't hide on ground, there isn't enough shelter, so I stay there on my branch. I rummage through my makeshift bag, which is actually my jacket roughly wrapped around my supplies. The screams of the long dead are traumatising so I just organise my supplies I took back at the Cornucopia.

The roll of bandages. A flashlight. A small flask of water. And a packet of dried fruit. I take a sip of water and examine the dried fruit. It can't last for long, a packet that small. If only I had my wand, I could multiply it and have infinite packets of dried fruit. But I don't have my wand.

I stuff everything back into my jacket and wrap it tightly around my arm. I close my eyes, trying to rest a bit before continue to trek on. The screams only intensify and vivid images that happened back at the Cornucopia appear out of the darkness behind my eyelids. And suddenly, I'm reliving the whole experience over and over.

The gong sounds. I launch myself off the metal plate. Spotting my wand lying a few metres away, I try to dive for it. Bang! A gunshot. A scream. I leap over a dead body. I need to get my wand. A knife comes hurtling towards my forehead. Duck! Just in time. I need to get my wand.

Just as I'm about to snatch it off the ground, a knife comes flying towards my torso. I dived sideways and I think I'm going to avoid the knife, it lodges into my thigh. Pain. It spreads like wildfire. I yank the knife out of my flesh and throw it in the direction where it came from. An older girl with blonde hair catches it by the hilt and aims it at me again. I lunge forward for my wand to protect myself but a flash of silver blocks my view. A vicious slash. Another scream. The blonde girl falls to the ground, her neck slit open. Blood.

I can't see my wand. I need to get to it. Where is it? Screams are everywhere. I blindly lunge and snatch a roll of bandages and a flask of water. I quickly rip a bandage off and wrap it tightly around my leg. I need to get out of here. Where is my wand? I take off my jacket in one quick motion and roughly stuff the rest of the bandages and flask into it.