Round 2 - Entries

Zoe Modjeska

(did not hand in)

Scarlet Waterstone

The day after the training session, I was reading a book which contained spells(I may or may not have taken that book without permission) sitting on a couch. I suddenly heard someone call my name.

"Scarlet!" Zoe said, smiling politely and proceeding to sit on the couch beside me.

"Zoe." I said, nodding.

"Where did you get that book?" She asked curiously.

"I summoned it. I thought it wouldn't work. But it did.." I replied, smiling sheepishly.

"I see." Zoe said, nodding.

Suddenly, someone took the book from my hands. I looked up to see our mentor. He was glaring at us. He scolded me for taking the book without permission. I muttered a sorry unenthusiastically.

"Just... do your best, OK?" He said, sighing. Both of nodded to him as he went away.

"Well then. I will be going now." Zoe said, getting up.

"Bye." I said.

After Zoe left, I slipped into my 'thinking mode'. I had absolutely no idea as to what was going to happen next. I wanted to believe that I was prepared. But I am less than prepared. I managed to learn some spells during the training session and gained some interesting knowledge. But will that be enough?

I was deep in thought, when suddenly I was forcefully made to get up from where I was sitting.

"Move it, girl! How much time do I have to call your name?" A man said as he pushed me forward.

I scowled at him. He kept pushing me forward. Finally, I was ushered into a dark room. I looked beside me to see that the man had mysteriously disappeared. Hmm? Where did he go?

I looked around the room, not being able to see anything except for a glass tube that was illuminated by the light. A voice echoed around the room, instructing me to enter the glass tube. Nothing happened for a few seconds. Suddenly, the floor beneath me started rising. Before I know it, I am standing in the blazing sunlight.

The others tributes from the other fandoms stand on their own platforms in a circle surrounding a large structure of metal protruding from the earth. Weapons lie everywhere, as do various backpacks. Hmm.. I wonder what is inside the backpacks. Probably supplied. My eyes brightened up as I spotted my trusted wand among the weapons laying on the ground. I recognized it immediately as I had painted it green in one of its end when I was small.

I wasted no time. As I was about to step off from my platform a voice spoke out of the air, "The platforms are programmed to explode if you step off before the countdown finishes."

I froze, one of my legs raised. I quickly placed my leg on the plate form again. That... was close. Holographic numbers appeared above the metal structure, counting down from sixty. I looked around, and frowned immediately. Odd... There aren't enough supplies for all of us. My frown deepened as I realized that some of the weapons weren't exactly in the best shape. I glanced at the other tributes. They all seem to be nervous. None except the hunger games tributes seem to know what they were doing.

I looked at the holographic numbers again. I was surprised to see that half a minute had already finished. I wonder... it can't be right? But the more I thought about, the more it made sense. I chewed on the insides of my cheeks, frustrated. These people are trying create a blood bath when the game hadn't even started yet!