Chapter Eighteen

Brown eyes swept the room, moving from one angle to the other in search of her. She knew she'd recognize the woman she was searching for simply because she knew she'd recognize the man who most likely wouldn't leave the woman's side.

She heaved a breath, her hand resting on her slender waist. She didn't like what she was about to do but she didn't have a choice; she needed the money and if saying a few words would earn her that amount of money, she'd do exactly that.

She still hadn't spotted her yet so she waited diligently, her eyes following the host of the party and his guest. It was supposed to be a reconciliation party of some sort but she had a feeling it would turn out to be a night to remember for both families.

*

A part of her told her to run off -leave, never turn back. But Kyra ignored the voice in her head all day, long enough to make it to the evening of her father's party. She had managed to maintain a brave front all day even if she was in tiny shattered pieces on the inside.

She shouldn't have agreed to it, yet she did. She did because her heart was beginning to pound for someone other than herself; Vihaan. She knew he'd do anything to protect her and she knew her father would use that against her. He'd hurt Vihaan, she could feel it in her bones and the thought of losing someone so dear to her again was strong enough to push her to hand over the company to her father. She didn't need it. Even if she accepted it, she couldn't handle it for she knew nothing about running a company or having control of one.

Still, the thought of betraying her mother's last wishes and handing the man who killed her, her last earthly possession, left Kyra with a bitter taste in her mouth. Would Mother be disappointed? The answer was obvious. But Kyra was left with no choice.

The pain in her chest no longer came and went, it stayed and its presence meant the increase in the pain she was feeling. Still, she knew she had to ignore it for tonight. Perhaps after the party, she'd tell Vihaan about it? She knew she couldn't continue to ignore it when it kept getting worse in spite of the pills she was on.

She focused her gaze on her reflection that sat before her, Aditi behind her, working furiously to get her hair into a perfect bond. It was obvious the young maid could sense Kyra's tension which was why she said nothing; she was afraid Kyra might not take too kindly to her intrusion. Obviously, Aditi had a lot to learn about her mistress.

It was one hour into the party before Kyra could muster the courage to make her way down the stairs with a highly reluctant Vihaan. His hand was wrapped around hers and she could feel the slight shaking of his fingers -she didn't know whether it was anger or nervousness.

Kyra maintained as much distance from her father as was humanly possible throughout the party, neglecting to say a single word -not even in greeting- to him, as she pondered on the perfect time to pull him to the side and tell him of her decision to sign the company over to him.

Her gaze shifted to Vihaan who just stood beside her, waving every drink offered to him, away. She squeezed his hand in assurance and when he turned to her, she offered him an encouraging smile.

She would fix their lives together. Perhaps when she gives her father what he wants, they can leave the city and maybe the country together? She didn't know what it would be like living outside of India but she knew anywhere would look beautiful with Vihaan by her side.

He smiled in return, his lips curling up at the sides. Her gaze took in his features, her heart wanting desperately to pull him close and kiss him. But she knew her action would be frowned upon especially by Kapoor who was unfortunately making his way toward them. Kyra wasn't in the mood for a conversation with her father in law but could hardly escape as Kapoor was half way across the room.

Motioning to Kapoor, she waited until Vihaan turned around to look at him, his body stiffening at the mere sight of his father, as a deep frown immediately claimed his face.

"Vihaan!" Kapoor had an uncharacteristic smile on his face that filled Kyra with dread. "You must come with me, there are some people I want you to meet."

Before either of them could do or say anything, Vihaan was being ushered toward the door by Kapoor, leaving Kyra standing there, confused.

With a sigh, she turned to leave the room to get some air outside -if only to ease the pain in her chest- when an unfamiliar voice called out to her. Confused, she turned around.

Standing before her was a young woman she couldn't say she had ever laid her eyes upon. Her surprised gaze traveled down the woman's outrageous outfit; low cut neckline that left nothing to the imagination, short sleeves, mini dress that stood as a great contrast to Kyra's modest floor length dinner dress.

"I'll bet you're wondering who I am." The stranger offered a cocky smile, rendering Kyra speechless. "Oh well, I'm Macy, nice to meet you!"

*

Macy spotted the submissive wife the moment she walked down that curvy staircase with Vihaan. If Macy was going to be honest, then she'd admit Kyra was gorgeous. Her black dinner gown clung to her beautiful frame before falling loose at her knees and forming a little train behind her. She wore a purple diamond necklace and her hair was pulled completely from her face to form a bun behind her head.

Macy's gaze stayed on Kyra, studying her. From what she could tell so far, Kyra was the typical bride; submissive. And her position as heiress did nothing to imbibe in her a little arrogance.

It wasn't until Macy spotted Kapoor making his way toward Vihaan that she finally snapped out of her reverie of Kyra -she didn't come here to admire Vihaan's wife, she came here to have a little chat.

"Oh well, I'm Macy, nice to meet you!" She offered a bright smile as she stood before Kyra.

"I'm sorry Macy, but I have somewhere to be. You are welcome to stay and enjoy the party, though." For whatever reason, Kyra looked pale.

"I've had enough of the party, Kyra, let's talk."

Kyra's eyes widened at the mention of her name by a stranger but she didn't argue. Instead, she nodded and led Macy outside to the garden. Placing herself gingerly on the seat, Macy watched as Kyra took a deep breath, almost struggling to breathe and in that moment, Macy felt sorry for her.

"You wanted to talk?" Kyra turned tired brown eyes to Macy.

"Hmm..." Macy swallowed, dreading her next words but knowing she couldn't turn back, not when she had come this far. "It's about Vihaan" She watched as Kyra's eyes lit up with interest. "I'm pregnant for him."

Copyright © 2016-2017 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

My plan was to publish two chapters in compensation for the long wait but i have a dangerous back log of school work you do not want to be bothered about😫. I'm so sad i can't write as often but please bear with me.

Also, did you enjoy this chapter? Then do vote☺☺