Chapter Six

Vihaan felt sick to his very soul as he stood there, his father's gloating face right before his eyes. Here he stood, planning the death of a woman he couldn't care less about. Yet, the very thought of being the reason for her death made him feel like a despicable animal.

No! He wanted to yell. He didn't exactly like Kyra but he couldn't stand to watch her die, could he?

Would it even be murder? He wasn't the one switching her drugs and besides, her death would earn him independence from the trap of this silly marriage and freedom to be with Britney, the woman he loved for real.

Was he really contemplating this, murdering his wife?

“Once she dies, you're free to go.”

He stared at his father, the monster that he was. All along, he had been a pawn in the old man's plan to end the life of an innocent girl whose only crime was being rich.

Suddenly, the overwhelming urge to protect her, washed over him. He hated her, but not enough to kill her or let anyone kill her for that matter. Yet, he couldn't say no to his father. Kapoor Sodhi was a determined man and Vihaan knew that when his father put his heart to something, he'd remove anyone who stood in his path.

Once, when Vihaan was a little boy, he had gone down the stairs to the kitchen to get some sweets from the fridge in the middle of the night because he couldn't sleep. He pushed the door open to find a sight he would live to remember for the rest of his life; his father shooting dead one of his business partners. Vihaan hadn't spoken about the incident, blocking it completely from his mind. It was only now, as he thought of what it was his father could do to Kyra, that he remember the incident.

“What are your plans right now?” He muttered.

“It's a slow process but I have instructed her new maid on what drugs to give her this morning.”

He heard his voice but didn't bother to look at him.

“Fine, father, as you wish.” He said, fighting the urge to puke as those words made their way out his mouth. “I should get back to work.”

Once out of the office, he ran down the hall, took the elevator down to the parking lot underground and drove his mercedes, as fast as he could, home. He had to stop Kyra from swallowing the wrong set of pills.

****

Aditi was imitating a choreography she had learned from a movie, leaving Kyra laughing and gasping for air as the young girl's legs and arms flailed in the air, making it seem like she was suffering from some weird version of a nerve disorder.

“Aditi, you should give your legs a break.” Kyra urged.

Aditi laughed, coming to settle beside her on the garden seat. Kyra had learned in less than an hour with Aditi that she was a talkative and a social monkey who couldn't wait to throw her apron in the air while running through the fields, naked. She laughed. And those were Aditi's exact words.

Aditi was in charge of everything that had to do with Kyra, taking on the role that Poojah once had.

“How about...”

“Kyra!”

She turned sharply at the sound of her name.

“Kyra!” Vihaan was making his way through the short pathway from the house to the luxury garden that stood at the back of the building.

She rose to her feet at the sight of him, her hands clasped before her and her head bowed —just like her mother did with her father.

“Excuse us.” Vihaan said tersely to Aditi who didn't need to be told twice as Kyra watched her feet scurry away. “Kyra, damn it, look at me!” He sounded irritated.

She glanced up, confused at his frown. It would be the first time she was laying eyes on him today and he had managed to get mad at her.

“Did you take your pill for the day yet?” His frown maintained its position on his face, leaving thick lines racing across his forehead.

“Yes, si...” She stopped herself, not certain what she was to use to address him. “Aditi gave them to me.” She watched the lines in his forehead thicken.

“You are not to accept anything from Aditi, am I understood?”

“But...”

“Am. I. Understood?” He gritted his teeth.

“If Aditi has done anything wrong, then you must forgive her. I know I'm new here and a maid can be assigned to me at your will but please, Vihaan, do not take her away from me, I have already lost a sister in Poojah and have only began to warm up to Aditi.”

She watched his features soften, the lines fading away.

“You may keep your maid but I'll be in charge of your pills, understood?”

Confused, she nodded her head nonetheless. With that, he turned his back and walked away.

Copyright © 2016-2017 All rights reserved.