Chapter 7

“I love you too Nick.”

I woke up in the middle of the night without movement and just felt rested. I thought it was real, or more like wanted it to be real. Even if it wasn’t, it still made me feel better. Because now I’m more than sure that it was what I wanted. 

Although I might have just slept for about two hours, I feel like moving. I wanted to go outside and do something, anything. Like I can move mountains and still do more. And I like this feeling. I’m happy again. It didn’t feel wrong.

Seconds, minutes, hours passed and as much as I wanted to sleep, I didn’t felt it come. I know later in the day I’ll regret that but what can I do when the woman that made my heart beat again was running around in my head? Wouldn’t any man want to chase after her?

“Nick!”

“What?” I asked my mom as she sat beside me.

“I was asking you if you preferred your eggs scrambled or sunny side.” My mom replied.

How does Andrea want her eggs? I wondered out of the blue.

“Nicholas!” my mom shouted again.

“What?”

She gestured the egg she was holding and made a questioning look.

“Any.”

She shook her head and must have decided to make it scrambled. I just looked down on my shoes and tried to tie it down. I tried to do my regular tie but my thumbs keep getting caught in the laces. It must have been minutes when I finally tied both of them.

“You know Nick, tying your shoes shouldn’t be this hard. Anak, if you can’t even tie them properly, how would I expect that you’ll finish your degree this school year?” my mom said as she was looking down on me, one hand holding the skillet the other on a plate where my eggs might be.

“I’m smart. And dashingly handsome. Isn’t that enough?” I told her.

“Yes, Ma. Shouldn’t that be enough?” my dad butted in, a cup of coffee already in his hand.

“If he is, try and teach him the right side to where the refrigerator door opens.” Mom pointed at me as I’m trying to open the refrigerator from the wrong side.

“Son, come and take a seat.” My dad patted the side of the table across to where he was sitting, indicating where I should be.

I grabbed a pitcher and approached the table to where he was sitting. I took the plate where my eggs are and grabbed my glass and poured.

“You might want to take it easy with the juice son. It’s concentrated.”

I stopped pouring and grabbed another glass to pour the excess concentrated. My mom sat beside dad, her cup of coffee on her hand.

“I know what’s happening.” Mom started, with a smile forming.

“What is it Ma?” asked dad.

“Nick’s in love.”

Was I that obvious?

“Ah yes, brings me back to when you used to court that young lady back when you were a junior in high school. So, want to tell us about this girl?”

“There’s no girl dad.” I deadpanned.

“You said that too,” replied dad.

“Really, there’s no girl.”

Dad and mom didn’t seem to believe me. Although I had told them about my previous relationships, it feels odd for me share this to them now. Officially, there was no relationship to begin with. There isn’t even anything to tell yet since nothing really happens every day. And the fact that Andrea is not allowed to have a relationship yet, also made me think twice as hard to tell them or not.