"Coming right up!" she announced, sporting a toothy grin.

Let's hit the rewind button for a minute.

After my seventh vexing break-up, by which point I had grown disturbingly used to the whole ordeal, I decided enough was enough. I wasn't trying to be recruited by My Strange Addiction anytime soon. Thus, I avoided boys like the plague and spent my final summer in high school rather uneventfully. 

I lay low, took care of my kid sister and helped my mom run the house. The reality was that I had an absentee father. I hardly thought about him anymore; he rarely ever came home and after mom had Jamie, he never came back. 

But late last year, a yellow envelope did — with divorce papers.

Since he skipped out on us a full decade ago, we were used to this new normal. In fact, this is the only life Jamie has ever known. It probably wasn't easy for Mom, being a single parent of two, but she has been a massive trooper. She put herself through med school and residency to become a general surgeon at Baptist Memorial

The plus side was great pay and benefits. The downside was that she was always on call. The only way we could make plans was if she could be in two places at once. I missed her sometimes but if it weren't for her full-time medical profession, we wouldn't be doing as well as we were.

Miranda came back with our order, and a little something extra. Jamie chugged down the strawberry milkshake and swallowed the pancakes at a horrific rate like she had a vacuum cleaner for a stomach.

"It's on the house," Miranda whispered, casting one of her genuine, Irish smiles. 

She and her husband owned the place so she liked to throw in a free treat to her most loyal customers every once in a while.

Between the coffee gulping and sister monitoring, I forgot the unequivocal tendency of Monday mornings. Like clockwork, we were going to be late for school again. It was only the first day! We paid for our meal and left in a hurry. 

After racing Jamie to St. Margaret's Elementary, I cursed the universe for not having my own ride. Mom had offered to buy me a car last year but I was feeling pragmatic at the time. I didn't want her to invest in a set of new wheels because that would have come at the cost of not repairing our termite problem right away. Thankfully, we put the infestation to rest but my poor legs were continuing to pay the price.

I should have called Jake, I scolded myself mentally as I sprint towards my destination —

SWH aka South West High.

I shuddered. 

Cliche as it is, high school was not my favorite place in the world. There was nothing redeeming about the mobs of angsty teenagers, worn-down teachers, or the prison-like campuses. Nothing major ever happened here, and no one major ever came out of here. We were but a blip on the cosmic radar. 

I was kind of popular if you call being titled a 'resident slag' for dating all those guys' popularity. 

God, did the wrong boys go to South West! 

All except two — Jake Smith and Nathaniel Smith.

Yes, both were 6'1, blonde, Greek god-looking jocks that had reserved spots on the varsity football team. Yes, they were absolute dream boys, the kind who would charm the pants off your mother, and maybe even your father, if you took them home. They shared a sense of humor only superseded by mine and yes, they were my two best friends.

But no, they weren't brothers.

Maybe, that's where the popularity came from. We were a mysterious bunch. I wasn't bothered that their constant presence around me didn't really help lessen my 'loose' image. I was an aspect of envy to almost every girl, even the seniors, and frankly, I didn't care anymore. 

I didn't move away from the crowd like I used to, or hide in the bathroom during recess. I didn't have a breakdown before any and all social interactions, and I couldn't care less of what some half-wit high school morons thought of me. I really have to thank the boys for that — they taught me how to censor all things trivial.

However, I have barely seen them over the summer because we all had our own stuff going on. I just hoped it was behind us because it's only once in high school that you're on top of the food chain.

I was near the main building when I saw Nate leaning against his car in the empty parking lot, furiously texting away on his phone. 

He looked like he always did — letterman jacket, low-hung jeans, aviators, messy hair, and flat-out sexy. Just the frown on his face didn't match the picture. I took a wild guess that it was his girlfriend, Nicole. 

Or ex-girlfriend, by the look of it.

Nicole, or Nicky, really was wild. The school was rife with rumors of her extracurricular activities that entailed selling meth and all that Walter-White-minus-the-genius baggage.

Pacing towards him, I held my arms open. "Miss me?" I shrugged with a smile. The frown turned into a weak grimace as he walked towards me for a hug.

Join the heartbreak club.

"Hi Mel," he squeezed me tight, partially hoisting me off the ground. "Yes, I missed you."

So there was one difference between Jake and Nate. Nate here was the soft one — we had that in common. While Jake maintained his love-is-to-get-laid bad boy rep intact throughout his years at South West, Nate and I were not exactly experts on the relationship chapter.

I hugged him back, tighter. "I missed you too."

"I know that high school's hard for you losers but isn't it a little soon to be having a meltdown?" a deep voice joked from behind.

I could already sense a smirk form on the very familiar face of my other best friend.

"Hi Jakey", I grinned, turning towards him.

"Smelly Melly", he chuckled. He really had to get over it — the name was almost ancient.

After hugging me and practically bulldozing Nate over with a tackle, the three of us walked towards homeroom.

"How was your summer?" I asked both of them.

Nate let out a few profanities. Yeah, Nicky and he were definitely broken up. Jake went on a rant about how hard Coach P drilled them at football camp. The topic of his parents' divorce from this past spring went completely unmentioned.

On the bright side, his mom and mine bonded even further this summer. Go figure

Jake and I were neighbors so our mothers have always been close. Although I didn't mind them spending more time with each other, if that were even possible, the aspect of bonding was quite disturbing. 

I sighed. 

We reached the double doors of the homeroom. I had my arms locked with both best friends. It was time to move on, let go of the past, and try to make the best of this year.

After all, it's — "Senior year, baby!" Jake announced, pushing the doors open.

What's the worst that could happen?

So, what'd you think?

I know it was a little dry and short but it's just the beginning. And it's about break-ups. What can I say? They suck - having them sucks, talking about them sucks, and writing about them definitely sucks. But I promise you, it gets better.

Also, take a look at the Cast list and make any suggestions. I know all the characters haven't been introduced yet but it still helps. We all know Victoria Justice aka Melissa Connery!

The first chapter will be updated soon. x

Vote/Comment <3 Thanks a banana bunch :D

~SouthEast