Lost Stars

I awoke the next morning to a faint ringing in my head, the events from the night before hazy. I shut out the TV static as I made my way to the restaurant, my time at which passed by in a blur. Suddenly, I was startled by Sonia inviting me to go swimming with just her and a few other girls that afternoon. I complied, spending some time walking before changing and heading to the diner.

"Hello everyone," I mused as I stepped through the threshold. Only a few people were there to greet me; Souda, Fuyuhiko, and Hinata. Wait a second... Hinata. The events of the past night flooded my head all at once, paralyzing me momentarily.

"...you ok, (y/n)-chan?" Souda's voice asked. I suddenly shook myself out of my daze, my eyes widened.

"What? Oh, yeah," I yelled abruptly. I glanced at Hajime, who merely looked away from me. Was he really going to hold a grudge against me. "Why are there only guys here? I thought this was going to be girls only!"

"Looks like you thought wrong," Fuyuhiko scoffed. He sat alone at a diner booth, eyes transfixed on the window. I merely waved him off, silently praying that someone else would show up to diffuse this awkward mashup of people.

Thankfully, my prayers were answered. Chiaki sauntered in, donning a ruffled bikini which suited her perfectly. I engaged in conversation with her as Akane, Peko, and Sonia all made their ways in. Once we were all settled, we made our voyage towards the beach.

Suddenly, we noticed some sort of chaos occurring around the mansion. Reluctantly, I poked my head in. I had to go around to the back door, as the other one was blocked. However, I wished I hadn't opened any doors in that moment. My knees grew weak at the grotesque sight before me, causing me to stumble around in a panicked fit.

Mahiru was dead.

An all too familiar chime resounded through the area, only validating the situation even more. I felt the horror sink in as the others began to survey the scene in the mansion.

"A body has been discovered!"

"No..." I pleaded under my breath, keeling over into the sand. Tears streamed my face as memories of Mahiru flooded my brain. Suddenly, my wallowing was interrupted by a tan hand being stuck out in front of me. I looked up with tear stained eyes and noticed Hajime looking above me, a slightly bittersweet smile on his face. I took his hand and wobbled up to my feet, suddenly being pulled into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry, (y/n)-chan," he stated with sincerity. "I didn't mean to upset you last night. I'll explain why I got so upset provided we survive this class trial."

"It's ok," I replied softly. "Though, I am still in disbelief over Mahiru's death...."

"We will avenge her," he asserted firmly. "I will make sure of it. But for now, we must begin our investigation."

"Naturally," I admitted, wiping tears from my eyes.

In the blink of an eye, the class trial was finished. The culprit was found to be Peko, which called for a heartbreaking execution. I felt moved to tears again as I watched her brutal murder. However, I could not help but feel accomplished that we had been able to make it through two trials without making any false guesses. Once it was adjourned, I made a beeline to my cottage to spend some time in solitude. I could barely take a second to breath before I heard a knock at my door.

"(Y/n)-chan, I'm coming in," Hajime's voice asserted. The door to my cottage was opened carefully, the brunette holding what appeared to be a wine bottle in his hand. "You doing alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I assured him. "What's with the wine? We aren't old enough to drink yet, you know!"

"Don't worry," he ordered, holding up the bottle. He then grabbed two plastic cups which I conveniently had lying around and poured a small amount for each of us. "It's some non-alcoholic wine that I obtained from the MonoYono machine. It's supposedly completely virgin, despite giving the drinker the sensation of being drunk...."

"What?!" I exclaimed, taking a tiny sip of the deep red beverage. The flavor stung my throat, each sip burning my mouth in a pleasant way. "I didn't even know things like this existed!"

"Go figure," he chuckled as he sipped on his own cup. With each sip, I found my nerves becoming increasingly calmer.

"So," he giggled, swaying slightly. "I want to explain about last night."

"Go ahead," I permitted, a giddy feeling overwhelming me. My mind was swimming, the boy smiling widely. We were really intoxicated. I began to fear that the wine was the real thing.

"Well, the person I like," he chuckled. Suddenly, he shut his mouth, and I could not resist but laugh.

"What! Spit it out!" I laughed hysterically. He laughed as well, leaning up against the wall. I sat on the ground near the foot of my bed, leaning up against it to let out an even more delusional chuckle.

"I like Chiaki," he stated bluntly. Suddenly, I felt my giddiness fade, being replaced by a sudden heavy feeling.

"Oh," I mumbled softly.

"No! I'm joooooking!" Hajime yelled. I still felt slightly upset by his unfunny joke, but I proceeded to giggle at his funny speech patterns.

"Ok! Then who is it?" I demanded in response. "You're like a little kid! Why can't you just spit it out?"

"Because," his eyes suddenly met mine, "I like youuuuuuuu."

"Oh my," I laughed, not fully understanding his words. I had about 3 glasses of the wine by that time, so it was difficult for me to understand his words. "thank you!"

"Don't thank me!" He exclaimed, suddenly leaning in towards me. He pulled me into a hug, which was nothing but pleasant. I felt my eyelids droop as I let out a yawn.

"You need to sleep now," he stated bluntly, though he had a half-lidded smirk on his face. He then lifted me onto the bed, covering me with the sheets.

"Goodnight, Hajime," I mumbled, shutting my eyes.

"Goodnight, (y/n)-chaaaaaaan," he laughed, after which I felt a pair of lips collide with my forehead. Before I could react, I was pulled into a drunken sleep.

((Sorry this chapter was more Hajime focused, there will be plenty of love for Komaeda soon ;)

Also, please leave a fave/comment if you enjoy the story! It motivates me to keep writing more than anything. Love you guys, and hope you're liking the story!!))