Far Cry

The next day, everything resumed back to normal. We met up in the restaurant, sorrowful about the deaths of our classmates. We all decided to keep on living on for them, agreeing to try to find a way off of the island. In addition, Monomi came to tell us that she opened up a new island for us to explore. Everyone eventually filtered out to explore the new island.

After scoping out the island, we were free to do anything that we wanted. I went to go spend time with Hajime, but when I went to his location I saw that he was already spending time with Chiaki. Though I felt a little jealous, I just decided it would be better to go and spend time by myself.

"Hey, (y/n)," a feminine voice called. I turned around and saw Mahiru standing behind me, toting a tray with food on it. "Can you bring this to the party room in the old building? There's someone in there that needs it..."

"What, who?" I interjected, the girl practically throwing the tray at me before responding.

"You'll see, thanks a bunch!" And with that, I found myself descending the staircase to head towards the old building. Come to think of it, the island did seem emptier than usual, but I had just assumed it was because of the murder last night.

The floorboards creaked underneath me as I gingerly made my way to the party room. When I pushed the door open, I noticed the remnants of the party from last night all around. Fortunately, Byakuya's corpse was nowhere to be seen. However, something slightly more horrifying was.

"Hello, (y/n)-chan," a flirty male voice mused. I looked down and saw Komaeda bound on the ground, chained to a weight. I had to stop myself from throwing the tray in shock. He peered at me with half lidded eyes, a devious smirk on his face.

"What the heck?!" I shrieked, putting the tray on a nearby table. I made a mental note to yell at Koizumi next time I saw her. "What are you doing here?! Why are you tied up like this?"

"Nekomaru and Souda did it to me," he explained. "They thought that I was too dangerous to let go loose. Haha! To think that they'd combine their ultimate talents on trash like me!"

"Here, take your food, creep," I spat as I placed the tray down by him.

"How am I going to eat it? My hands are tied here... literally!" He let out a hollow laugh which filled up the entire room. I propped him up against the wall, requiring most of my strength to move him. It would be difficult for him to eat lying down, and I wanted to make this strange situation slightly less strange. I then sat down on the ground next to him, the tray at my side as I fed him spoonfuls of food.

"I'm gonna get back at Koizumi-san for this..." I muttered under my breath. I couldn't help but feel slightly lonely, as Hajime seemed to want nothing to do with me despite the time we spent together yesterday. Maybe that's just the type of guy he is- one who's nice to everyone. I probably took his kindness for granted.

"You seem worried about something," he murmured in between voice, a genuine look of concern on his face.

"I... don't want to talk about it," I protested in response. "It's not like I'd tell you anyways, you know."

"Come on, it's not like I have anyone to tell anyways," he pleaded, in a tone that indicated he wouldn't let up any. "Talk to me, please. You seem upset."

"Well," I gritted my teeth as I fed him another bite. "I was hoping to hang out with somebody, but it turns out they'd rather make time for someone else."

"You have my undivided attention," he exclaimed valiantly, letting out a hoarse chuckle. I sighed, realizing that talking to him was easily not a good way to rationalize the situation.

Komaeda noticed my hopelessness and frowned. "Don't be so sad, now. This person probably just wants to spend time with the others on this island and get to know them. You can't blame them, can you?"

"No, I can't," I murmured, scraping the bowl to muster up one final bite for the boy.

"I mean, I would have spent time with you even if I wasn't tied up," he laughed gleefully. I eased him back to the lying down position I found him in. "Don't worry, (y/n)-chan. I'd always make time for you."

I felt a bit embarrassed by his statement, but then remembered the events of yesterday and immediately reverted back to my normal demeanor. I nodded, deciding it would be better to not agitate him. Earlier, he almost seemed like he was a normal person.

"Yeah.. maybe we could spend some time together later," I offered as I gathered the empty dishes. His slate grey eyes sparkled at my offer, obviously intrigued by my words.

"I'll wait for it eagerly!" He exclaimed with a loud cackle. "Let's just hope your bad luck doesn't intervene!"

After I left the old building, I felt a wave of sadness pass over me. While it wasn't ideal, spending time with Komaeda was better than spending it alone. My bad luck must have brought out the worst traits in him yesterday, as he acted almost normal today. Well, save for the endless rambling about my talent, but that seemed to be normal for him.

The rest of the day passed by uneventfully, night time eventually occurring to signify that the day had come to an end. I was exhausted from hanging out with Ibuki, who promptly ordered me to hang out with her after I returned the dishes to the kitchen. While it was exhausting, I surely didn't feel lonely for a fleeting second while I was with her.

I stared up at the moonlit ceiling, my arms spread out at my sides. I thought about my encounters with Hajime and Komaeda, comparing how different they were. Despite this, they were still some of the best times I had ever had. I felt my stomach tie in knots as I thought about spending more time with them in the future.

And then, in that moment, it became clear to me.

I had caught feelings for both of them.