Chapter 16 : Hurt

Start from the beginning

So I gently picked her up in my arms, and carried her all the way downstairs.

I sat down, and put her on my lap. I wrapped my arms around her middle, holding her to me tightly.

Across the room, Nicky was staring down blankly at his plate of food. I knew he was upset. This wouldn't be a good day...

"How are you feeling?" Sebastian asked Alex.

"Sore..."

"Yeah..."

"I'm taking care of her," I said, proudly.

I rested my chin on her shoulder.

Sebastian's uncle sat down after getting breakfast for us. I ate all of mine, but Alex only ate half of hers.

I carried her back upstairs. We laid on the bed, still tired.

"We have to go to Nicky's dad's funeral today," I mumbled.

"How's Nick doing?"

"He's upset."

"Yeah, well now he's lost both his parents..."

I pulled Alex to my chest.

"We have to help him," I whispered.

"Hey guys. Alex's uncle is downstairs. We're calling a family meeting thingy," Sebastian said, standing in the doorway.

I picked Alex up again, and brought her downstairs. Everyone was gathering in the living room. I sat down with Alex on my lap. And I cuddled with her.

"So... We need to leave in a few hours for the funeral. And after that, we need to get some legal stuff settled," Sebastian's uncle said.

We were all listening intently. I could feel Nicky tensing up beside me.

"Nick doesn't have a guardian anymore. It's up to him what he wants to do. We can put him in the foster system. Or if he wants, I can adopt him, and he can live with us," Sebastian's uncle said.

"Please don't put me in the foster system. I want to stay here," Nick said, quietly.

"Ok, then it's settled. We just have to get some things signed. The meeting is over. I need all of you ready to leave at 5:00."

We nodded.

Sebastian, his uncle, and Nicky got up and left. Alex's uncle sat down across from us.

"Are you two ok?" He asked.

"Yeah, thanks to Jeff," Alex said.

"What exactly happened?"

"He hit her. And then when Sebastian's uncle and Nicky's dad showed up, we tried to escape, but he kidnapped her. And we drove and drove and drove. And then we finally found the house they were at, but he lit it on fire and hid Alex in a closet in the basement. So I ran inside, and I saved her. But then we were trapped, so I punched the glass, and got us out."

"How are your hands?" Alex asked.

"They're ok actually... I don't think anything's broken. They're just all bruised and a little cut up from the glass."

"He really saved you?" Her uncle asked.

"Yeah, I know. I can barely believe it either. Looks like he's got some bravery in there somewhere."

I blushed.

"I wouldn't be alive if Jeff hadn't gone in there and found me."

"I had to... I love you..."

"How are you doing? Sebastian's uncle said you got pretty hurt," her uncle said.

"I can't walk yet. I'm really weak and shaky. Jeff said there's a bunch of bruises and marks on my back. He cleaned me up last night before we went to bed. Everything hurts pretty bad right now, but Jeff is taking care of me. I'll be ok."

"Good. I'm glad to hear it... So I talked to Sebastian's uncle. You guys are going to stay here for a few more nights until I get a new place to live."

"But his dad is in jail now. Why do we need to move?" Alex asked.

"We're not moving into an apartment like we were going to. I found a house on a lake in the woods that has a bunch of property. I figured maybe we could start fresh."

I was smiling now.

"That sounds awesome," Alex said.

"Yeah... Well I have to get going. I have some things to sort out with the new house. But I'll see you guys at the funeral."

"Ok."

He left. I laid down on the couch, still keeping Alex in my arms.

"I'm so sleepy," I whispered.

"I know. I am too. But we both need to take a shower before the funeral tonight. And you need to help me."

"Oh, Sebastian said your uncle brought us some clothes. And he brought our swimsuits, so we can figure something out."

"Alright."

I picked her up in my arms again, and headed upstairs.