Chapter 10 : Dumb decisions

Chapter 10

Later that night...

Jeff POV

"No! Stop! Please! I'm sorry!" I screamed.

My dad kept hitting me.

"This is for trying to escape!"

He started hitting me extra hard, and I crumpled on the floor, still screaming.

I woke up from a nightmare. And I'd woken Alex and Blaine up by screaming.

"Hey, calm down. You're ok," Alex whispered, rubbing my back.

I started crying. I felt so scared inside. I was more scared than usual for some reason.

"Come on. Let's go talk in the bathroom," Alex said, pulling me out of bed.

I tried to be quieter as we walked down the hallway to the bathroom. Alex shut the door, and made me sit down on the floor with her.

"What happened?" She asked, quietly.

I wiped my tears.

"H-he was just b-beating me again. I d-don't want him t-to get me! I f-feel so scared and t-trapped right now. I d-don't know what t-to do!"

"Shhh... Jeffy, the police will catch him, ok? The police will handle this. We just need to stay here until they catch him."

"Are you sure we're really safe here? I don't feel safe."

"Jeffy, you never feel safe."

"True... But Alex, I just feel like we need to be somewhere else... Somewhere safer."

"Like where?"

"I don't know, but I feel like we need a better hiding spot."

"Jeffy-"

"We need to leave."

"Jeffy, no. We're not leaving."

"We have to! I don't feel safe!"

"Jeff, you're being really crazy right now-"

"I'm leaving. Right now. Come with me or don't, I don't care. But I have to get away."

"Jeff-"

"I'm serious. I'm leaving."

"This is stupid."

"I don't care. I'm doing what my gut is telling me. I have to. You've been trying to teach me how to stand up and take care of myself. And this is something that I feel like I need to do."

"Jeff..."

"Please. I need to do this. And I want you to come with me. We can help each other stay safe."

"Jeff, we're perfectly safe right here."

"No. I don't feel like we are. Alex, please. I need you to trust me."

She sighed, and took my hand in hers.

"Fine. We'll leave. But if we're in danger, and I tell you to run and leave me behind, I need you to run without a second thought."

"Alex-"

"Jeff, I need you to promise me. Or I'm not going."

"I can't just leave you-"

"Your dad doesn't want me. He wants you, Jeff. Leaving me behind won't give him anything useful."

I bit my lip hard.

"Fine. I promise."

We quietly crept back to Blaine's room. Blaine was fast asleep again. We got our shoes on, and then quietly crept downstairs, and out the door.

We were holding hands as we started walking down the road in the dark. My stomach felt so uneasy.

"Do you even know where you want to go?" Alex whispered.

"No... Just away from here..."

We kept walking. And we eventually found a little park. I brought Alex over to a big tree. We sat down.

"Jeffy, we didn't go very far."

"I'm sleepy."

She sighed, and looked at me.

"You know, you're a lot of work sometimes."

"I know..." I mumbled.

She sighed again, and shook her head.

"Let's go to sleep. We'll figure out where to go tomorrow," I said, laying down.

"You're seriously insane, Jeff..."

"I know..."

I curled up on the grass. Alex laid down with her head on my chest.

"Night," I whispered.

"Night, Jeffy."

Later that night...

Alex POV

I woke up, barely being able to breathe. There was a hand over my mouth, and a gun pointed at my head. I felt completely frozen as I stared into Jeff's dad's eyes. They looked crazy.

He yanked me up off of Jeff, and tied my hands tightly behind my back. I started silently crying. I was too scared to make any noise. He still had the gun pointed at my head.

"You move, you die," he growled at me.

He let go of me. I stayed glued to my spot, absolutely petrified.

He woke Jeff up, and started tying him up. He started screaming, which resulted in him getting a few slaps to the face, which shut him up quickly.

After he was tied up, his dad dragged both of us out of the park, and into the backseat of a car. Jeff and I were both crying now, but quietly.

Jeff was starting to hyperventilate. I knew he was probably going to have a panic attack. But there really wasn't anything I could do.

He had duck tape over his mouth, but he was beginning to let out these screechy noises.

"If you don't shut up, I'm going to hit you twice as hard," his dad growled.

Jeff started screeching louder. More tears went down my cheeks. I knew we shouldn't have left Blaine's.