Chapter 4 : Jeff goes missing

Chapter 4

A few days later...

Jeff POV

I was so stressed out. We have finals in a week! And then... I die...

"Hey, Jeff."

I jumped, almost falling off the bed. Sebastian gave me a sympathetic smile.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to grab some dinner. Alex and Nick are busy talking to Alex's uncle right now."

I nodded, and followed Sebastian down to the cafeteria.

"So how do you feel about finals?" Sebastian asked.

"Scared."

"You've been doing really good with review though. I think you'll do fine."

"I'm scared about my dad too..."

"Yeah, I think that's why Alex and Nick got called down."

"I don't get why they don't tell me these things. They hide it from me, and I hate it."

"Jeff, look. They found out about your dad getting out of jail around Christmas time. We didn't want to tell you and have you be worrying until now. We wanted to save you from all the scared feelings we knew you'd have."

I sighed. That did make a lot of sense...

"I'm so scared, Sebastian..."

"I know you are. But my uncle is like... rich. Whatever lawyer he recommended to Alex's uncle will be amazing. We won't go down without a fight, ok? I promise."

I picked at my dinner a little. I didn't have much of an appetite, but I tried to eat a little bit anyways...

Alex and Nick met us in the cafeteria a little while later.

"We have news," Nick said, sitting down across from me.

"What happened?" Sebastian asked.

"Jeff's dad gets out of jail in 3 days. And Alex's uncle said that in addition to worrying about the custody battle, we should be cautious in case he tries to kidnap Jeff. He says he wants someone to be with Jeff at all times," Nick said.

"Ugh," I said, laying my head on the table.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked.

"No privacy..."

"It'll be ok. You can still shower alone and stuff. You just can't go walking down the halls alone."

I sat up again, and finished my dinner. 

"Let's head upstairs. We've only got a few more days to study," Nick said.

We all followed him up. 

3 days later...

Alex POV

Jeff was on high alert 24/7. The slightest noise would make him jump, and he'd wake up at every noise too. 

I'd bet he'd catch his dad sneaking up on him before his dad could even suspect it.

Today was the day his dad got out of jail. Jeff was so much more on edge today than he was yesterday. I knew he was scared. And to be honest, I was kind of scared too.

I slowly put my hand on Jeff's, trying not to make him jump. He looked over at me.

"Hey. If you need to talk-"

"Yes."

"Ok-"

"I'm terrified to even leave the room. I don't feel safe here. And I wish I could go somewhere safe."

"Jeff, as soon as finals are over this week, we can go home."

He bit his lip hard.

"You'll make it."

The door flew open, making Jeff jump high into the air. It was only Nick.

"Hey. David fell, and Trent isn't around. Sebastian and I need help getting him to the nurse," Nick said.

"Ok. Jeffy, as soon as I leave, lock the door, and don't open it for anyone unless it's one of us, do you understand?"

He nodded.

"Ok."

I followed Nick out the door, and across the hall. 

"Where's Trent? Why isn't he here?" I asked.

"He had to ask one of his teachers some questions about something," David said.

We helped him get to the nurse's office. We stayed while the nurse looked at him. She said she thought he had a sprained ankle, but since he could move it, it wasn't broken. She wrapped it for him, gave him crutches, and then we helped him get back up the stairs to his room.

I knocked on the dorm door.

"Jeffy, open the door. It's me."

There was silence. Not even quiet noises of movement.

"Jeff?"

I knocked again, a little bit louder this time. I was starting to panic a little inside.

I tried the door, and it was unlocked. I threw the door open, and went inside, finding it empty. I checked all of Jeff's hiding places, in the closet, under the beds, in the shower. He wasn't here.

I started banging on Trent and David's door. Nick answered it, and gave me a confused look.

"What?" He asked.

"Jeff's gone."