Chapter 18: He Was My Rock

Start from the beginning

"How's dad taking that we are back together?" I asked her, breaking the silence. I knew mom was back on board with me dating Peter, but dad had been so quiet about the issue since that day of the dance.

She shrugged as she turned into the hospital drive. "As well as he can, I think. He thought he was doing well when he shooed Peter away, but I think he realized that was a mistake. I think it's hard for him to let you grow up a little."

I nodded at her as she stopped in front of the entrance of the hospital.

"Well, I will see you later."

I took a deep breath, afraid that I wouldn't have enough energy to get out of the car, but without fearing about it any further, I got out on shaky legs. "See you. Love you," I said as I closed the car door, shooing her off before she noticed anything.

Without waiting another second, I walked into the hospital with my head held high, finding this situation oddly refreshing since I was the one visiting, not the one being visited. I think that this was a first for me as I walked to the front desk to get information. "Do you know what room Anna da Cruz is in?"

The friendly receptionist smiled at me. She typed on her computer for a second then said, "of course! She's in room number 351. Do I need to get someone to show you the room?"

I smiled at her. If only she knew that this place was a second home to me. I probably knew this hospital better than she did, but I enjoyed this second that she didn't recognize me and I wouldn't tell her. "No, I think I can manage. Thank you."

I walked slowly but surely to the elevator. Each step took energy that didn't exist, but I managed to carry onward, knowing that each step was for Anna since I was determined to be for her what I never had. As I walked into her room, I saw her asleep in the bed. Saying nothing, I walked to an empty chair and sat down, prepared to wait as long as it took for her to wake.

Minutes passed by until I saw Dr. Patel walk past the room. He stopped, instantly spotting me, then smiled.

A lot had happened over the two weeks since I last saw him. I never realized that I would miss seeing him around, but as I smiled at him, I realized I did. Why did he have to go to a conference was beyond me, he was already the best he could be. If I could have it my way, he would never leave this hospital.

"Do you have a few minutes?" he asked as he stood in the doorway.

I nodded to him, then looked at Anna to make sure she was still asleep. I had a feeling that she would be asleep for a while so a small conversation with Dr. Patel wouldn't hurt. "Yeah, I have some time," I said and stood up from the chair a little too quickly, causing me to feel light-headed. I stumbled back to my chair, saving myself from falling onto my face.

"Whoa now, take it easy," he said and rushed over to my side to give me aid.

I frowned as I slowly stood up again. "I'm fine. Just stood up too fast," I said with a smile as I tried to reassure him it wasn't anything to worry about.

He wasn't believing me as he frowned at me. "You should know by now that I can see through your fake smiles, Clare."

Well, at least I tried. "Nothing gets by you."

He smirked at me as I followed him out of Anna's room. "No. I have been with you all too long."

<>

I raised my eyebrows at him as we ended in the doctor's and nurses' break room. No one could come into this room unless they worked at this hospital. I should know since I tried a few times to break in, to no avail. But as I stood in the room with Dr. Patel, I felt like such a rule breaker. "You're breaking the rules. You've been around me a little too much," I said with a smirk as I leaned against a wall of the room for support.