Prologue - part 1

5 years ago, Chicago

"I will take two pieces of this one, please." I motioned towards a chocolate cheesecake with caramel frosting and smiled at the female behind the counter. I couldn't wait to see Vic's face when I arrived home. I was supposed to stay at work until morning, but my boss let me go early because his brother came to help out.

I worked at a night club as a bartender. It was a great job. I loved meeting new people and talking to them about their problems, but the hours were crazy. Sometimes, we had to stay until 5 a.m. because our customers refused to leave, and the cleaning afterward took a lot of time. The money was good, though, and I had time to study as I got two days off after every shift. Thanks to that, I was able to attend my classes regularly and was slowly moving my way towards a degree in business. There were just a few months left until my graduation. Only a few more months of lack of sleep due to my excess studying and working on my papers.

I was counting every day, and I couldn't wait until it was all over. I didn't mind studying, and I loved my friends and the campus life in general, but it was already enough. I wanted to be free and get rid of the student loans as soon as possible. And that was doable only if I could get myself a great-paying full-time job, which was impossible while studying.

"Anything else, sir?" The voice of the female worker woke me up from my thinking, bringing me back to reality. I smiled at her and shook my head.

"That will be all. Thank you." I paid for the desserts and started my way home. Hopefully, Vic would be still awake and ready to spend a nice and steamy night with me. It had been a while since we had some real quality time for each other, and I missed him.

*****

It took me around 10 minutes to get to the building where our apartment was, and another two minutes to take an elevator to get to our floor. We lived in one of the fancy apartment building in the center of Chicago, and while I didn't pay as much as Vic, we did share the rent. I didn't want him to pay it alone; I didn't want to be a freeloader.

Searching my pockets for a key, I unlocked the door, happy I was finally home.

The darkness and silence that met me upon entering the entrance hall made my excitement die down a little. Sighing, I put the keys to its place, disappointed. I didn't make it in time, and Vic was most likely sleeping. He returned from a business trip this morning, so it was understandable. His father made him work like a dog at times.

Victor's father, Graham McNemara, was the owner of Nemara Inc., one of the most successful conglomerates in the US. I had no idea what they were dealing with and, to be honest, I didn't really care. I wasn't dating Victor because of his wealth and the future inheritance of the company. We met during one of my shifts in the bar. He was there with his friend, Nelson, and they were messing around with women. Thinking back, I couldn't help but chuckle at the memories of our first meeting. I couldn't stand him. He was an arrogant prick who thought he was the best thing in the world, and no one could compare to him. It took him a lot to persuade me to even consider going on a date with him. I had a boyfriend just like him in the past and was terribly burned, so I didn't want to risk anything. But Victor was so sweet and persuasive, I wasn't able to resist him and got involved with him against my better judgment. Now, after two years, I couldn't be happier.