Chapter 13 - Meet The Dragons

Meet The Dragons

Alfhild and Blake were riding the horses quietly. So far, they had not spoken a word since their journey to search for Sapphire had begun. Blake was still thinking about what King Basil had said about his parents and his heritage. It was still difficult to believe that he was from this world even though his parents were from Agron. He had been brought up on Earth for a long time to feel any affection or familiarity with this land. Even more difficult to believe that the was the son of a baron.

King Basil explained that his life was in danger before he was born, so his parents had to flee. His return was not partly because of the prophesy related to Sapphire. They still had no idea what Sapphire was. All they knew was that Blake would bring back Sapphire. Prince Aricin was confident in him even if they had not spoken a lot more. Blake felt that the prince and him would have been very good friends if the circumstances allowed. Now, Alfhild and him were to retrieve Sapphire by any means.

They were not allowed to have more people on the quest as it would attract too much attention. However, Alfher, Alfhild’s brother would be there to meet them at the treacherous canyons, named, Death Canyons. Blake shivered at the thought. He had no plans to just die yet. His parents were in need of the antidote and he felt that by finding Sapphire whether it was the gem or someone, he would get to see them once his quest was completed.

As for her, he turned discreetly to look at her and found her staring at him instead. “Alfhild,” he began but she turned away from him but he caught her biting her lips. Deciding that it was a good time to take a break, the horses were showing a film of sweat, he stopped his horse and slid down. “Let’s take a break, the horses are tired.”

Alfhild didn’t reply and followed his actions, the sun was beating down on them ruthlessly, hiding in the shade gave them some respite. A rustling sound by the bushes startled them into defence mode. Blake was ready to swing his sword at whatever was approaching them while Alfhild was preparing to throw magic.

When something the size of a kitten emerged from the bushes, Blake took a swing at it but Alfhild shouted, “No!”

Caught off guard, he twisted his body and nearly crushed the thing by a few inches. “Ow!”

“Do not harm it, dragons are rare.”

Blinking his eyes rapidly, Blake turned to look at the dragon which was small compared to stories he had read, “Is this a baby?”

“By the size of it, yes. It seems to have lost its way,” by now, Alfhild was squatting just next to Blake as the baby dragon was looking at them warily. “There, go look for your mother.” The dragon did not move but shook itself and the black scales fell off his body, revealing a lighter shade that looked grey.

“Are we in dragon land?” Blake asked.

“We are near the borders, it was not part of the plan to enter their lands as they do not welcome humans or elves very much,” Alfhild frowned. “The baby has to be returned, this will delay our quest,” she bit her lower lip.

“Can they talk?”

“Not when they are still young. The adults have better speech capabilities while the young learn to speak.”

“I think it’s best that we return this baby to its mother. How do we tell whether it’s a boy or girl?” Blake was studying the grey dragon carefully, he was not sure if he would be bitten or set on fire since he had no idea about when dragons have the abilities.

“Sapphire,” was all Alfhild said.

Blake looked at her, “It is rare, you said dragons are rare, the best place for it right now would be its rightful home. I know that we have to find Sapphire soon but I just don’t feel right leaving it here by itself.”