Chapter Fifty Eight ✓

WE FOUND IT

WE WERE IN THE ELEVATOR. I was with Clary, Isabelle, Alec, Magnus, and Camille along with Simon heading to where all the books have been kept from over the years. I walked with Clary.

Alec was up front with the others. I looked around the place and gave Clary a nervous glance. "I thought the underground parking was nice." Simon muttered.

I suddenly got this exciting feeling in my stomach. I was finally going to see my Mother soon. My beautiful, loving, caring Mother. We are just finally entering the library, I walked up where Alec and Isabelle stood. "Wow, you've got a lot of books," Alec commented. I looked around the room. My jaw dropped. Well, this should be fun. "I've got a lot of time on my hands." Camille said. Being alive for a hundred or more years... you obviously would have a lot of time on your hands.

I looked at Alec and gave him a small but nervous smile.

I followed Clary and Simon ready to search for the book of the white. I sighed. This is going to take a long time, but I don't care. I need her back. "This place creeps me out." Isabelle spoke up. "Yeah, I agree." I told her. I started to climb a wooden book ladder. Why would a vampire need this anyways?

"Yeah, let's check the perimeter." Alec suggested. I turned my head to look at him a little ways.

"Good idea. If I know Camille, she'll have a trick or three up her sleeve." Magnus said. I sure hope not. Alec and Magnus left to check the perimeter, I felt a tug on my arm, making me gasp, Camille was there looking at my ring.

"Hmm. It's pretty," she commented, as she stared at my ring. "Alec would kill you if he saw this right now." Simon said to her. She scoffed, backing up. "I don't get it. Why do you still have this place if you live at the Hotel DuMort?" Clary asked her. I furrowed my eyebrows, wanting to know the same thing.

"The DuMort has too many rules," she said. I rolled my eyes. "Think of it like Gracie Mansion." I raised an eyebrow, climbing down from the wooden ladder.

"It's the official residence but it doesn't mean that I have to live with it," she said. She let out a sigh.

"This place gives me the freedom to indulge in certain... proclivities."

"You know, the mayor has the same problem." Simon told her. "Ow!" He said. I walked over to Simon. Camille cut his finger with a feathered writing pen.

"Hey!" he said, looking up at her. "What the hell?" I said. "Come with me." She said to him. Simon followed, obviously. "On the dotted line." Camille said. Clary and I turned around to look. Simon was going to sign the paper. Oh, right, he had to sign something.

So he did.

"Thank you," she said, giving him a smile. I rolled my eyes, looking away. "He did what you asked. Now give us the book of the white," I told her, folding my arms.

"I'd love to," she smiled, as she walked over to the books. Excitement flooded through me.

"But I can't." Camille inhaled sharply, "I have no idea where it is." "What!" I yelled.

"Dot gave it to you!" Clary walked over to her more.

"I'm sure it's in here somewhere. But the idea was to hide it. Telling me would defeat the purpose." Oh. My. God. I can't believe this.

"Dot must have put it somewhere when I wasn't looking," she said. That bitch, Camille.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I groaned, stomping my foot. "So what, we have to search the whole apartment now?" I asked her.

"That's the spirit, Bella! Although, I'd start now. I've got for more rooms like this one." She added. I wanted to literally rip that black hair out of her skull. Clary's phone started ringing, she walked away going to answer the phone call. I stood with Camille and Simon awkwardly. "Good-bye, Simon," she said to him. "It's been pleasure doing business with you." Wait, she's leaving? "Wait no, you can't leave." I said. "Wait!" Simon said. "I wish I could, my little caramel. But don't worry, we'll see each other again soon." The next thing I knew, Camille speeded out of the room so fast I didn't even blink first.

Fidgeting on my feet, and I wondered why she called him little caramel. Well, that freaked me out. I gave Simon a nervous look and I sighed. He sighed. "I hate when she does that."

-

Simon, Clary, and I were still searching for that damn book. I sighed, running a hand through my hair. I wish we'd just find it already. "I wish our Mom had just left us something. Some sort of a clue," Clary said. I nodded, agreeing.

"Yeah, wouldn't that have been nice?" I said to her. I started searching through every single book, most of them dropped on the ground which they made a booming noise as it echoed through Camille's library. "Bella, would you stop that?" Simon asked.

"No," I said, doing it again then huffing.

"Maybe she did, guys. Are you sure she has never said anything about a book?" Simon asked. I shook my head, mechanically. I sighed.

"No, I don't think so." Clary said. "Again, wouldn't that have been nice?" I said to them.

"And even if she did, she had Bella and mine's memory's erased. Anything to do with the Shadow world." I groaned, throwing more books on the ground, feeling annoyed. "Well, there's got to be something. Maybe the clue has something to do with colour. You know? White is the absence of colour, so... wait, or is that black?" He asked, confused.

"Wait, Simon, just let me think," Clary said, as she walked away with a book. I turned my attention back to the other books on the shelves. "Clary, that's a cookbook that you just grabbed," I told her. "If you wanna make cookies, now is just not the time."

"I've seen this before..." she said. "Chicken cacciatore, remember?" I ran over to her and jumped when I saw it. "Remember Mom used to make it all the time!" I said. "Oh, how could I forget? It was even better the next day." Simon said, changing the conversation. "The gift that keeps on giving."

"Maybe more than we realized," she said. My eyes widened when I saw the bookmark.

"Oh, my god!" I said, grabbing the other half of it and putting it together. It started glowing, then it attached together. "Clary, look. We did it!" I jumped with joy. "Is that what I think it is?" Simon asked me. "This is it," she said, "I can't believe it!" The old stupid cookbook turned into the spell! Jumping up and down I clapped, giving Clary a side hug. Tears started filling my eyes. I was so happy. Where the hell were the others?

"Clary, you did it!" I yelped. "We've got to go, he's here." Isabelle said, she was at the door. I grabbed the book and held it tightly in my hands. When we walked out, my eyes widened.

A portal opened up in the library. There stood Valentine, holding his sword out with two other guards. Another monster that he probably created.

"Clarissa, Isabella. It's so good to see you again."