Chapter Fourty Eight ✓

THE CLOCK IS TICKING

RAPHAEL BROUGHT SIMON INSIDE. My heart ached for Simon. He doesn't deserve this.

When he was phoning Clary all this time, was this why? Tears filled my eyes and one of them dropped on Simon's shirt. "People will be wondering what we found outside of the perimeter," Jace said. I sniffled, wiping my tears away. "I'll go tell them that we didn't find anything," Alec said. "Bella, can I talk to you?" I hesitated, and Alec lead me out of the room.

"Bella, I'm so sorry-" Alec said. "It's okay."

"It's true. Since Clary and I had came here we did mess up your life. My life is messed up, too. I'm an art student I-" Alec shut me up by kissing me. I smiled throughout the kiss, and I then remembered what's happening in the other room. Simon. Alec's hands left my waist and I suddenly felt cold.

"Last night..." Alec whispered. "Was the best night of my existence." I nodded, agreeing.

"Mine too." I smiled.

Alec wiped a tear away. He kissed me once more before he left. How can Alec be such a jerk but I still love him anyways? Sighing I walked back into the room running a hand across my forehead. I walked in and everyone was silent expect for Clary's whimpers.

"Oh, last night was the best night of my life." Raphael said. My eyes widened. What. Did. He. Just. Say? "What?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing." He grinned. "Bella, we need to have a serious conversation about this." Isabelle said. I pursed my lips. I don't want to have the serious conversation she's talking about. I walked over to Simon and Clary. Simon is laying on a metal table.

"The vampires were not behind this, just Camille. She attacked Simon on her own." Raphael said.

"And how do we know you're telling the truth?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest. "I could have gotten rid of him but instead I brought him here." Raphael pointed out. "I don't want to trouble with the Shadowhunters." He added.

"Smart decision," Jace and I said at the same time.

"I warned the mundane to stay away, but, Camille gave him a taste of her own blood, and like an addict he came back wanting more."

"The only reason Simon ever tasted Camille's blood is because of you." Clary said. I nodded.

"You kidnapped him! You drug him to the hotel DuMort... you!" Clary yelled, "You delivered him to Camille!" I glared at Raphael.

"I never meant for this to happen." Raphael said.

Yeah, sure. "Simon. Simon, please come back. Please!" Clary yelled, sobbing. I walked over by her side and embraced her. "There is a way," Raphael said. I narrowed my eyes. "A way? A way what?" I asked. "A way to bring Simon back." My eyes widened. "You can do that?" Clary asked. "How? How?!" "He's a fledging. It's a state of transition. Your friend can be resurrected."

"No. Clary, no." Jace said, "Bella, don't even think about it." "So we can have Simon back? Alive and breathing?" I asked, my hands fidgeting. "That's just it. He won't be alive or breathing, Bella. He'll be a vampire." Isabelle said. "And not the sexed up ones, or romantic kind. The ugly bloodsucking coffin-dwelling kind." Jace explained. "That's offensive," Raphael said.

"Really?" "Coffin implies a wooden box. We have caskets now. They're made out of 14-karat gold." Raphael said. I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"My bad." Jace said. "It's almost sunrise. Simon must be turned tonight into a vampire or with a stake in the heart." "And if Bella or I do neither?" Clary asked. "His soul would be trapped for eternity. You and Bella have till sunset to decide. The clock is ticking."