29

Rose

"Text me when you're ready to leave, okay?" Abel says, pulling up at Jeremy's driveway. I nod and turn to look at the house. Music is blasting from inside the house - I'm surprised no one has called the cops. "Stupid teenage parties," Abel mutters under his breath and I laugh. He turns to look at me. "Isn't he an addict? Why's he having a party?"

I shrug. "For me," I answer.

Abel's eyes go hard. He leans in and touches my cheek. "Can't you just cancel on him?" he asks, pouting. 

"Abel, no," I say. "He's my friend."

"Yeah, I doubt that's the way he sees it," Abel responds, clenching his jaw. 

I try to hold back my laugh. "Are you jealous?" I ask, smirking and Abel shoots me an annoyed look. I grab his chin and pull him closer, quickly pecking his lips. "There's nothing to be jealous about. You're the one I'm with." 

Abel leans in, kissing me. The kiss becomes more heated and deeper, but I don't pull away - it feels too damn good. "Are you sure there's no way I can change your mind?" he asks, against my lips. 

"Mmmm," I say, when he starts to kiss me again. "No."

Abel starts kissing me all over my face and then pulls away. "Sure about that?" he asks, raising his eyebrows. His hands brush against my thigh and then creep up my dress, making me shiver. 

I smack his hands away. "Stop," I warn, but he just tries to do it again. This time, I grab his hand and hold it down with both of mine, so that he can't move it. 

Abel pouts at me and then he starts kissing my neck. "How about we have a little quickie in the back seat?" he asks, biting down on my skin.

"How about no?" I say. I twist my neck and kiss him one more time before hopping out the car. Abel shoots me an annoyed look, but then starts smiling. He shakes his head and drives away.

When I knock at Jeremy's door, he opens it and grins. "Finally!" he yells over the loud music. He wraps me in a warm hug. "Happy birthday!"

"Thanks," I say. He grabs my hand and takes me into the living room, where everyone is. The smell of alcohol hits my nose straight away, but I manage to ignore it. I haven't drunk anything since that night at Tyler's and I'm definitely not gonna drink anything tonight.   

"Happy birthday, Rose!" a couple of people say and I thank them. I don't even remember their names, even though I've been too numerous of parties with them. 

"Wanna drink?" Jeremy asks, holding out a cup. I look at him as if he's crazy and he laughs. "Relax, it's not alcohol." I take it out of his hands and take a sip without questioning him. It tastes fizzy and fruity. "I'll be back in a minute," he tells me and walks off. I stand in the room awkwardly, sipping on my drink. I have to say, I feel like a child drinking this while everyone else drinks alcohol. 

I'm suddenly in need of fresh air and walk off to the garden. People are in the pool, splashing around and there's even a couple making out. I walk to the more deserted side of the garden and sit down on one of the chairs. 

Maybe I should've taken Abel up on that offer of a quickie in the backseat. I mentally scold myself, feeling frustrated. I need him right now.

"There you are!" Jeremy says, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I thought you left!" I smile and he hands me a box. "Here. It's nothing much, but -"

"Jeremy, you didn't have to bother," I interrupt.

Jeremy shrugs. "Yeah, but I wanted to," he says and I smile at him gratefully. I open the box and to find a bracelet, encrusted with charms in it. "Here, let me." Jeremy takes out the bracelet and puts it on me.