Grand Plans

It was four in the morning when Allison woke up to a scratch at her window. She squinted, waited for the sleep fog to dissipate, and spotted a single clawed finger against the glass. The young hunter kicked her covers off. She ordered her heartbeat to slow down so that it wouldn't alert the werewolves guarding her door but it couldn't help but dance. Sliding up the window revealed a pale Scott McCall squatting on the thin sill. It also revealed the iron bars laced with wolf's bane that held her prisoner. She gasped Scott's name and squeezed her hand through the bars to clasp his.

"Are you alright?" he whispered.

"I thought you were dead!" Allison hiccuped, tears hovering between her eyelids. "The others – are the others all right? How did you escape?"

Scott's face fell. "Deaton dug us out and took us to the clinic. Isaac was dead by the time we got there and Derek died an hour later. That amount of wolf's bane... we had no chance."

"What about Stiles and Lydia?"

"Lydia's all right. Stiles..." Scott shook his head. "Stiles didn't..." He couldn't say the words.

Tiny drops of water accumulated into one big tear that tumbled down Allison's cheek. She imagined that their hands were their whole bodies and hugged his with hers. "I'm s-so s-sorry. I wish..." Allison claws the water off of her cheeks. "Oh god, Scott... Not Stiles..."

Scott tapped the bars with his claw. "I'm not up to my full strength yet," he said. "I can't – I can't get you out of here."

"It's all right." Allison sniffed. "You shouldn't be here, anyway. They'll come after you. Gerard needs a third werewolf and with the others dead, that just leaves you and Cora."

"I know." He squeezed Allison's hand even harder. "Listen, I'm going to hide out at the Hale house until I figure out my next move. I doubt they'll look for me there."

"I'll come find you," she said. "If I can figure out how to get out of here I'll come find you."

"No!" he said, quicker and sharper than she expected. "You need to get somewhere safer, somewhere public. Go to the police or find my mom at the hospital, all right?"

She could tell by the look on his face that this wasn't the time to argue. "I'm glad you're okay," she whispered. "I'm so glad you're alive."

Scott kissed her hand. "Get some rest. I'll contact you when I can." Before he left, Scott huffed warm air across the window pane and drew a heart with his fingertip, just like he used to do on her car window.

He was gone before she could even say goodbye.

•••

Isaac was waiting for Scott at the McCall's front door. "Did you move him?" Scott asked.

"He's sleeping upstairs," said Isaac. "They both are. How'd it go?"

"I heard a half dozen heartbeats speed up when I was talking to Allison. They heard. They think you're dead... Hopefully," Scott said.

Isaac rolled his eyes. "This is our grand plan? Faking all of our deaths?" he asked.

"Derek got the idea from Ms. Blake, actually." Scott folded his arms against his chest and took a deep breath. "When Gerard and the Alphas go to find me at the Hale house, we'll have our own trap ready." He rubbed his eyes.

Isaac put his hand on Scott's shoulder. "Get some sleep, will you?"

"After I see Stiles." Scott climbed the steps and peeked through his bedroom door.

Stiles was fast asleep, lying on his side in Scott's bed. A thin rivulet of black blood dripped from his ear, a second one from his nose. The dark color made his skin look extra pale. The bandage around the wolf bite was soaked through.