five

auston just drove around aimlessly. he needed to calm down. he really wasn't mad anymore, but he is extremely emotional. he just doesn't want to lose bella. 

auston drove until he wound up at matt's house. matt is one of the few guys on the team that knows about him and bella, and he needed someone to talk to right now. he knocked on the door, patiently waiting for a response. matt opened the door, greeted by austons puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks. without hesitation, matt immediately hugged the younger boy. both of them aren't really huggers, but matt could tell that this was an exception. 

they walk back inside and matt gets auston a bottle of water before sitting down next to him on the couch.

"is it the girl?" matt asks auston, who looks beyond stressed.

"how'd you guess?" auston says with a slight laugh despite how he's feeling. he then absentmindedly lays his head on matt's lap, closing his eyes without an intention of falling asleep.

"what about her? you two seem fine." and so auston tells him everything. what mo said to both of them, him and mitch's argument, how scared he is of losing her. matt just listened. his hand was on auston's shoulder, gently rubbing his arm and occasionally tracing small patterns on his tan skin. 

"i just-i don't want to lose her, marty. i don't know what to do." auston's voice wavering on his last sentence. matt hated seeing auston like this. he's so strong throughout everything, so when he breaks down it's hard to deal with.

"i think you should come clean. tell the team, and ignore what anyone says. it's 2017, not 1994. if there are some guys on the team who don't like you guys together solely because of the whole 'you don't date teammates' thing, they'll have to deal with it. it's an old school way of thinking and it has no reason behind it. you two are so in love, it's unreal. and forget what mitch said. it might take time, but this will be accepted. you'll be fine." matt finishes and auston lifts his head from his lap, looking at matt like a lost puppy.

"you promise?" auston says very quietly, looking down at his hands. a smile breaks out on matt's face before he answers.

"i promise, auston."

-----

bella was pacing around the house, phone in hand waiting for a response from auston. he had been gone for 5 hours now, and mitch went over to will's house an hour ago. just as bella was about to call him again, auston walked through the door. bella ran towards him and engulfed him in a tight hug. auston was slightly stunned at first, but very quickly returned the hug.

"don't ever leave like that again. you scared the shit out of me." bella says into austons chest, voice muffled by his hoodie.

"we need to tell the team about us." auston says, not responding to what bella said.

"what? where is this coming from?" bella pulls away from the hug, confused.

"im just-" auston pauses, thinking about what to say. "i never want to have to hide us. i never want to pretend that sitting next to you on the bus or plane is coincidental. i never want to stop myself from putting my arm around you, or holding your hand. i want to be able to compliment you, and kiss your cheek and just be a boyfriend! i love everything about you bells, and i don't want to hide it anymore." bella stands still. opening her mouth to say something, but no words come out. 

"i love you isabella. i dont know if you love me back, if you don't thats fine but i-" bella cuts off austons rambling with a sweet, soft kiss. 

"auston, i love you so fucking much. i have no idea how i would get through my life without you. you keep me grounded, you stand up for me, and you make me feel like a queen. i would absolutely love to tell the team about us, i'm just worried if people will judge us." auston's face falls slightly. noticing this, bella quickly says something to help. 

"but as long as i'm with you, i don't care what other people think." she smiles and auston shakes his head.

"that was so cheesy." bella steps closer to auston, lazily wrapping her arms around his torso.

"you love it." auston just hums as a response, his eyes closed as he rests his chin on the top of bella's head. the two stand there for a minute before bella pulls away, grabbing her phone and heading to the living room. auston follows her, sitting next to her on the couch.

bella goes on to the leafs team group chat and types up a short, to the point message for the team.

(a/n - the contact names are from bellas phone)

toronto maple LEAVEs

bella boudreau: auston and i are dating

austonnn💝: yes i can confirm this

boz lightyear: i beg your pardon???

----------

so i guess now the team knows about them and it doesn't seem like tylers too impressed yeesh

*unedited