Chapter 8 - Don't bank on it

“So your father tried to kidnap you?” Ricky asked dis-believing.

“Yeah, to get back at my mum, you see he cheated on her during their marriage, after the divorce the mistress and my father spilt. He then came to our new home banging on the door begging for my mother to take him back.”

“And your mother said ‘no’.”

“Yeah pretty much, so then he got mad, broke into the house when my mum was out in the backyard.”

“What did you do?”

“Well I was learning Karate at the time so I kicked his butt. At that time he wasn’t so strong. He must have toned or something ‘cause he flipped me today. “

We walked silently hand-in-hand towards the mall, soon after we reached the doors and cool air-conditioning blew at our faces.

“So, we need six books, you need pens, and stuff like that, where should we start? Big-w, office-works or a news-agency?”

“I think office-works sounds good.”

“Alright, it’s this way.” He led me down corridor after corridor until we saw the massive entrance, the blue signs and posters of deals on the window.

We walked in and grabbed the dark blue wheelie basket, and headed down the first aisle full of different brands of stationary.

__________

“I need a bag, where should we go to get a new bag?” I asked Ricky while he was carrying all the bags, ( I swear on my life he wanted to I never asked him.)

“Well, I don’t need a new bag, like right here I have about 50,” Ricky joked, “How about we try the bag shop around the corner?” Ricky replied properly.

“You know I can carry my bags right, you don’t have to.”

“No it’s fine, I just need to re-organise the bags.”

See I told you, he insists.

He hobbled around the corner, and I walked in front to make sure he didn’t bump into other shoppers.

I walked in and Ricky was re-organising’ on a bench outside. There were selves of bags, and I saw a bag that looked good, it was totally me, an over-the shoulder bag with a distinct style. I picked it up and took it to the lady at the counter.

“Just a moment.” This old lady says, she was organising papers on the desk.

She turned around, you will never believe my luck.

“Jen, what are you doing here?” Fiona (fruitcake) snapped.

“To buy a school bag, you know so I can carry around the books for my education.” I retorted.

“It’s $70 dollars for the bag.”

“The tag says $35.”

“Not for you it doesn’t”

“You can’t charge me double, just because you hate me.”

“It’s my store. “ And then she grabbed at the bag and ripped it from my fingers, she must go to the gym regularly.

“Hey! No give it back I’ll pay the whole $70.”

I handed her my key card, and she swiped it in the portable machine.

“Declined, mustn’t have enough.” She looked so smug, I was just itching to throw something at her… if only.

“I checked it this morning and I had plenty, can you try it again.”