Chapter Eighteen - Slow Dancing in a Burning Room

Start from the beginning

          You're so cute, Kieran thought at me. 

          I ignored him, for both of our own good, and pressed ANSWER.

          "Hello?" 

          "You have got some serious explaining to do." 

          I winced at Alicia's voice. "I'm sorry?" 

          "You disappear on me for two days and that's all you have to say?" 

          My shoulders hunched. Normally, Alicia and I spoke and/or hung out every day. And even though I had a pretty good excuse for missing out, she'd been sick. 

          "I'm sorry," I repeated, "Did you get over your cold?" 

          "Yes," she sniffed. "No thanks to you. Were you kidnapped or something?" 

          Arms suddenly wound themself around my waist, a chin resting on my shoulder. I jumped a little then relaxed. At least, until Kieran spoke directly into the reciever. "In a sense." 

          There was a long silence. 

          "Is that who I think it is?" 

          "You must be Alicia," Kieran said, too close to laughter for my temper. "Danny's told me a lot about you. I'm Kieran," he added, like she didn't know. 

          "Danny." Alicia sounded more like a squeally teenage girl than I'd ever heard her. "Danny, tell me you're not kicking it with Kieran Night." 

          "We're doing more than kicking it over here," Kieran's voice was layered with innuendo. 

          "Okay, I think we're done." I broke out of his hold, glaring lowly. "Alicia?" 

          "You have some serious 'splaining to do and you'd better do it fast." 

          "I--" I didn't know what to say. Lying wasn't a frequent habit of mine. 

          Your car broke down. I helped you. 

          When I only stared at Kieran, he gave me a mental poke. He was leaning against the counter, smirking. 

          "Uh--my car broke down during the snow storm. He helped, and I ended up spending the night over his house." 

          "Spending the night." I could visualize her leer perfectly. 

          "Not like that!" 

          "Mhm. Sure. So when can I come over?" 

          "Actually," I began guiltily, "Kieran and I wanted to go out on a date today." 

          "So you're just gonna abandon me again?" She sounded teasing. "Fine. But you owe me a girls' day out." 

          I didn't argue. We'd had the 'I'm not a girl' conversation and she'd won, somehow. "Okay. Bye, Alicia." 

          "No no no, blondie, you don't get off that easy. You've got to answer one more question for me." 

          Somehow, I knew this wasn't gonna be pleasant. I sighed. "What." 

          "Is his butt really as firm as it looks?" 

 Nearly an hour later, Kieran was still chuckling. 

          "I like her. I like her a lot." 

          Concentrate on the road.