Chapter 2: The First Step

Listen to 'Silhouette' by Aquilo for this chapter.

~~~~

At long last the much anticipated school bell rings indicating the end of classes. I pick up my stuff and trudge out of class, happy that I can finally leave this prison.

Cole waits for me at the school gates and we start the walk back to his place. I spend most of my time at Cole's house due to the difficult circumstances with my dad and home life. We mostly just mess about until it gets late and I eventually have to go home.

As we're walking I think back to lunch with Amelia. I don't know what compelled me to sit down and have lunch with her. Maybe it was her sad smile or the comfortable aura around her but there was just something about her that I couldn't ignore. She wasn't anything like the other girls at school.

At least my company allowed her a little joy, although I have no idea why anyone would have a good time with me of all people. I'm grumpy, moody and a waste of space. Most people can't tolerate being around me, apart from Cole, but I don't care. I don't need them.

During lunch Amelia didn't really speak but I didn't mind. The silence wasn't awkward but rather relaxed. She kept looking towards me though like she wasn't sure if I was really there. I felt self conscious at first but by the end it stopped bothering me.

I guessed she might not be used to attention from anyone. Her unhappy eyes told me that much.

When the end of lunch arrived we casually said goodbye and headed our separate ways. I don't know if I will see her again. I find a strange part of me hoping I do.

Suddenly Cole snaps me out of my thoughts. "Kai? Kai!" he calls.

"Hey sorry what were you saying?" I reply with nonchalance. I glance towards him, watching as his eyes roll with impatience.

"Did you not hear a single word I said?" He sounds slightly annoyed but knowing him, and us, he'll get over it in a matter of seconds. "I was asking where you went off to at lunch."

"I just went around here and there. I thought you were asleep and didn't want to wake you." I choose to avoid telling him about Amelia for now and my secret spot at the rooftop.

Not just my secret anymore though. It's Amelia's place too.

"Well, I was sleeping until I was disturbed by the noise and commotion. You missed all the drama." His emphasis on 'all' suggests there was a vast amount of it, as do his twinkling eyes.

"Drama?" I question, not really caring for an answer. If there's one thing I stay away from it's school drama.

"Yeah, between Damien and a junior. Her name's Taylor and she's just transferred here." Damien was the 'player' of the seniors you could say. He would manipulate girls with his 'charm' then take advantage of them. To him a new girl is fresh meat.

"He approached her with his cheesy pickup lines and asked her out." Cole continues excitedly. "But she refused instantly and tried to walk away which, as expected, angered Damien as he had never been shut down before. He grabbed her arm harshly and demanded that he wouldn't let go until she agreed. He never could have guessed what happened next."

Cole pauses for suspense, his eyes widening.

"The junior kicked his side then punched his face with her free hand like some black belt ninja or something. The result for Damien is a black eye and a limp when he walks! I mean can you believe that?" Cole seems especially overwhelmed with the event. He takes pleasure in gossip and action as his life doesn't contain any.